Salt Company is ‘In the Light’

April Goodwin

Ominous clouds hovered overhead, but the rain held off until after the Salt Company’s first meeting of the year on Aug. 27.

The Salt Company, a non-denominational group, draws about 2 to 3 percent of Iowa State students to its religious meetings.

Although many different faiths are represented at the gatherings, the Salt Company’s origins stem from a Southern Baptist off-shoot. The ministry is based out of Cornerstone Church of Ames, 315 6th St.

This year, the Salt Company has added a second meeting time to accommodate an excess of students, said Eve Doi, ministry coordinator.

“[Last year] we had people standing up in the back and pouring out the doors,” said Holly Rank, junior in graphic design.

The meeting times are now 6:45 p.m. and 9 p.m. every Thursday night in Jocko’s Warehouse, 112 Sheldon Ave.

The group lined Jocko’s parking lot behind Taco Bell with 800 chairs, neatly arranged to resemble a crude outside auditorium, and 800 ISU students anxiously waited for the band to start playing.

Rank said music is an integral part of the gatherings.

“Meetings usually consist of a worship team with contemporary music, a speaker and, sometimes, a skit,” she said.

Pastor Jeff Dodge spoke after a half-hour of singing.

“If every single person here each spoke to one other person, just once a week, we would reach every student with the gospel before graduation,” Dodge said.

Chris Justice, senior in electrical engineering, has been attending the Salt Company for five years. Justice said he feels the attraction to the Salt Company is due to its “eternal significance.”

“I was kind of overwhelmed at first,” Justice said. “It was a little more high-voltage than what I was used to. I thought they were all a little too excited … but now I love it, and I think it’s awesome.

“It’s like church, but only for college students,” Justice said.

Sierra Cue, junior in business management, said she started going to the meetings with some friends.

“I didn’t want to go, but I did … and it drew me back,” Cue said. “I felt really comfortable there because people are so friendly and open.

“Eventually I realized how messed up and meaningless my life was … and I accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior of my life. It’s like the song, ‘I was blind, but now I see.'”

Rank echoed Cue’s comment about caring individuals.

“I really believe that the leadership has a heart for the students and their lives,” she said. “It’s not driven by advancement of the group or a desire for a reputation, it’s driven by a desire to save souls — eternally.

“It’s not about Salt Company at all; it’s about God,” Rank said.

The meeting finished at about 9 p.m., and Dodge gave the closing remarks.

“Consider joining up with us, but realize that God is doing many other things in many different ministries here on campus,” Dodge said. “There are other things going on … look around and see where God wants you.”

Cue said the meeting must have been blessed.

“It didn’t actually downpour until we were picking up all the chairs … miracles do happen in 1998,” Cue said.