Study abroad students come home

Matt Tremmel

The Study Abroad Center hosted a Welcome Back Reception for students returning from overseas Wednesday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

The reception featured speeches by Iowa State President Martin Jischke and students and faculty who went abroad, including Elizabeth Andre, alumna with degrees in Spanish and international studies, Tim McDorman, senior in psychology, Karol Crosbie, communications specialist for the Alumni Association, and Steve Kravinsky, director of the College of Business’s Career Placement Center.

“Your study abroad experience is a very important part of your education,” Jischke said.

He said the experience is not one the students will be apt to forget.

“In 20 to 30 years … it will turn out to be one of the real highlights and one of the rewarding experiences of your undergraduate or graduate careers,” Jischke said.

Many of the students who attended the Welcome Back Reception are still adjusting to the return to life in the United States.

“I miss everything they have there that they don’t have here,” said Brooke Muetzel, senior in linguistics, about her 10-month stay in Graz, Austria.

However, Muetzel mentioned that she is glad to be back at ISU.

“It’s more of a student atmosphere here, which is pretty much nonexistent there,” she said.

Some students found they appreciated the United States much more after being away for a while.

“[Being gone] makes us realize we take our country for granted,” said Hannah Zahs, sophomore in art and journalism, about her experience at Roatan Island.

Maggie Schroeder, senior in civil engineering who studied for five months in New Castle, Australia, said she was impressed by the patriotism expressed by the Australians.

“I didn’t notice American patriotism until I got back,” Schroeder said.

All the students agreed their study abroad experience was rewarding and enlightening.

“I love the Australian culture and their approach to life,” Schroeder said. “I want to go back.”

The study abroad experience also gave students the chance to meet people from many other countries and cultures.

Muetzel said she stayed in the international students dormitory during the second semester of her stay in Austria.

“We [all] had to speak German so we could communicate,” she said. “[Now] I have friends from all over the world. I have the opportunity to go almost anywhere in Europe and have someone I know there.”

Jischke said ISU’s goal is to have 750 students studying abroad by the year 2000.

“We at Iowa State feel very strong about the importance of international study,” he said. “There is nothing quite like going to another country with a different language, a different culture, a different feel and look and smell and taste and learning to deal with that.”