Rosenthal named Adult Learner director

William Crawford

Adult and commuter students have special needs, and Penny Rosenthal can help.

Rosenthal was named director of the Office of Adult Learner and Commuter Students Monday.

The Office of Adult Learner and Commuter Students is directed toward helping students who live off campus and students who are 25 years of age or older.

Whether they have to travel long distances to classes or have family responsibilities that need to be considered, Rosenthal can provide information and guidance.

Houston Dougharty, associate dean of students, said the applicants for director were a competitive and qualified bunch of people.

“Penny had the educational background to prepare her with student affairs,” Dougharty said. “Her life experience was that of a commuter student, which matched the position.”

Rosenthal said she chose to come to ISU because she liked its size, location and national recognition.

When asked about any future changes planned for the program, Rosenthal said, “I’m not going to fix what’s not broken.” She said she thinks the Adult Learner and Commuting Students program is in excellent shape and needs few changes.

Rosenthal said she would like to be able to put more information about the program on the Internet, and she also would like to start a student organization that would help to meet the needs of older students.

She said she feels that her abilities and talents are not just restricted to working with the Adult Learner and Commuting Students program, but she also is open to other areas that may require assistance.

“I’m not here just for the students but for the institution as well,” she said.

Rosenthal is originally from Austin, Minn., and she received her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Mankato State University. She also has served as the coordinator of Adult and Graduate Student Services at Texas A & M University.

For more information about the Adult Learner and Commuting Students program, please contact the Adult Student Services Office at 294-2364, stop by Room B6 in the Memorial Union or visit its Web site at http://www.public.iastate.edu/ ~offcampus_info .