Where insects are the stars

Matt Tremmel

Students looking for a buzz this weekend have a new option.

Rather than drinking themselves into a drunken stupor, students can buzz off and go to the annual Insect Horror Film Festival.

The annual event begins this Friday, with free admission to movies, food and a petting zoo.

“This is our big event of the year,” Jennifer Remmers, president of the Entomology Club said. “It’s what our club looks forward to all year. I’m looking forward to seeing how the new freshmen in the club will react to the festival.”

This year’s festival will feature the movies, “The Naked Jungle” in the South Ballroom on Friday and “Mothra,” in the Pioneer Room on Saturday. Two cartoons, “Lady in Red” and “Bug Parade,” preclude each of the 7:15 p.m. shows.

The Entomology Club chooses the movies with help from media resources.

“[Media resources] have catalogs that have all the movies in them,” Remmers said. “The club chooses the movies taking into consideration what we’ve shown in the past.”

Another big part of the festival is the Insect Tasting Event, featuring samples of food made with insects. People can sample “Chocolate Chirpies,” “Bug Brownies” and “Worm Dip.” Recipes will also be available.

According to Remmers, the “Chocolate Chirpies” are just chocolate covered crickets.

“I compare them to peanut M & Ms without the peanut taste,” she said.

The Entomology Club tries new recipes every year to offer variety for its patrons.

“We’re trying to have more of a variety,” Remmers said. “The ‘Worm Dip’ is something we haven’t done. We have yet to make the ‘Worm Dip’ with the worms in it, so we’ll see how it tastes.”

Remmers added that the insects do not have much of a taste to them.

“[The worms] are dry-roasted so the insides are cooked out,” she said.

Iowa Students are not the only ones attracted to the festival.

“A lot of elementary school teachers make [attending the Insect Horror Film Festival] an assignment.” In addition, some teachers make members of the Entomology Club sign a sheet proving that the students actually attended.

“Some get extra credit for eating the insects,” she explained. “The younger the kids are, the more willing they are to eat the insects.”

Along with tasting insects, people can also touch the insects in the petting zoo, which was also featured at the Entomology Club’s Veishea display last spring.

“There is an actual insect zoo in the department now,” Remmers said.

The petting zoo will feature hissing cockroaches, giant millipedes and a butterfly tent.

The festivities begin with the Insect Tasting Event at 6 each night, movies and the Insect Petting Zoo begin at 7:15 p.m.

The annual Insect Horror Film Festival is sponsored by the Entomology Club, Student Union Board and Committee on Lectures.