Smoke-free M-Shop less frequented by students

Andy Tofilon

After a controversial decision by the Memorial Union Board of Directors last spring, the Maintenance Shop started off the new semester as a smoke-free venue.

Before the decision, the M-Shop was the only place on campus that was designated a smoking area.

“Back in 1993, when the renovations to the Memorial Union were being discussed, was when the state of Iowa decreed that all state property be smoke-free,” said Rusty Poehner, M-Shop coordinator. “We are not state property; we are a privately-held nonprofit corporation. We are very closely allied with the university, and we make a[n] … effort for our vision plans to coincide with the university’s.”

M-Shop Director Tyler Uetz said business slows down in the late afternoon.

“We are usually pretty busy until 4 or 5 o’clock, and then it starts clearing out when students leave campus and go home, which is to be expected,” he said. “There are only three people in there now at 4 p.m.”

Uetz said he thinks the non-smoking policy may be hurting business.

“You can see why I don’t like the plan. I think if you look inside the shop right now, you’ll see why,” Uetz said. “We don’t have any business. All of the supposed non-smokers that had called in [to support the non-smoking plan] haven’t shown up yet to enjoy their new venue for excitement and entertainment.”

Poehner estimates that last year, 90 percent of the staff and 80 percent of the M-Shop artists who performed were smokers.

“I became the coordinator in 1991, and I smoke. I smoked in my office since 1993, and I smoked in the Shop after that,” Poehner said. “Now I am victim of the weather, and I hope I don’t get bronchitis too many times this winter.”

The M-Shop was the place to study between classes for some ISU students.

“A lot of people smoked during the day last year. I would say around 80 percent to 90 percent of the customers smoked,” Uetz said. “At night, it depends on the show when it comes to smoking because of the various types of music.”

Poehner said she disagrees with some current health studies about the effects of smoking.

“I don’t think any of [the reports] necessarily have been proven true,” Poehner said. “I think that the current trend shows that in the last five years since they did this survey, that the amount of students that smoke has increased four- or five-fold.”

The M-Shop’s move to smoke-free is causing other problems, such as enforcement, Poehner said.

“What do I do if I have 200 people moshing furiously, and four of them decide to light up deep in the middle?” Poehner asked. “I tap them on the shoulder and ask them to put it out, but what if they decide to ignore me — what can I do? I’ll do my best to enforce it.”

Some students said they understand why the rules have been changed.

“I smoke because I can’t quit, but I see where they are going with it,” said Chris Martin, freshman in political science. “Smoking is not good for you and the rest of the people around you.”

M-Shop officials said they do not foresee a drop in attendance or performances.

“All bands take breaks; you can go outside and smoke,” Poehner said. “Don’t let this keep you from coming to a show.”