Getting personal with President Jischke

Daily Staff Writer

Editor’s Note: Iowa State President Martin Jischke sat down with Daily Staff Writer Luke DeKoster for an interview Thursday afternoon. This is the transcript of their conversation.

Give me your feelings about the situation with President Clinton. How do you see it?

“I’m quite disappointed.”

Where do you see it ending?

“I don’t know, and I don’t want to speculate, but I believe there’s been a violation of a trust, and I see that as extraordinarily unfortunate. Not only am I disappointed personally, but as someone who is entrusted with the education of young people, I find myself angered at the notion that he would carry on this way with a young person in an internship position.

“I find it quite disappointing as an educator and as a person who has a trust, in this case with the students of Iowa State.”

And, maybe you don’t want to comment on this, but should he resign then? Is that conduct so unbecoming a president that he should resign?

“I think it is conduct that is quite unbecoming a person in that kind of position of trust, including the President of the United States.”

Do you think he should step down?

“I have a personal opinion that I don’t want to express in my role as president of a university.”

What are the major challenges at the university right now, that you’re facing and that the university faces?

“First, I would say in general terms, we’re off to an absolutely terrific start this year. Our enrollment is up, fundraising is going well, so I think things are going very well at this university.

“Our major challenge is to continue the progress that we are making, to be able to continue to develop the resources, the financial support we need to achieve our lofty ambitions. That’s the major challenge, but I think things are going very well right now.”

Anything specific, such as a construction project like Howe Hall?

“There’s a tremendous amount that’s going on right now. There’s a lot of construction taking place. As I mentioned in my remarks at the Fall Convocation, I identified some challenges and some opportunities. Among the opportunities that I identified, if I remember correctly, was first, the opportunity or challenge associated with improving the learning environment for students, and more specifically, learning communities.

“Second, continuing to build our research program, and third, distance learning is a tremendous opportunity and a particular responsibility that we have as a land-grant university.”

You said the year’s off to a good start. What’s the one best thing, or the two best things, that are going on right now?

“The best thing is we have attracted another excellent student body, an excellent freshman class. We recruited a number of very talented faculty. I feel very good about the people who have come to Iowa State.

“No. 2, I think the victory at Iowa City was a very, very happy occasion. I couldn’t be more pleased, first for the players, who’ve worked very hard. This kind of victory has been a long time coming. And for the coaching staff, who’s also worked very hard. I thought that it was tremendously exciting.”

About the football game, does [the win] make a big difference for Dan McCarney?

“I think it makes a big difference for everybody, for all of us. First for the players, I think, as I said earlier, that they have worked very hard. We have a really outstanding group of young men on our football team, and I couldn’t be more proud of them and the way they dealt with the disappointment of TCU and then bounced back for one of the best games I’ve seen, if not the best game, I’ve seen here at Iowa State.

“Obviously, the coaches did a terrific job in the week between TCU and the University of Iowa in preparing our team, in giving them a good game plan. They clearly were well-prepared. I thought it was a great example of effective teaching, in this case, of football. They did just a terrific job.

“The University of Iowa has a rich tradition. It’s a very fine university, it has a good, strong football program, and for us to beat them on their home field is quite an accomplishment.”

Do you own stock, and are you worried about the market right now?

One, yes I own stock. And am I worried? No.

What kind of stock do you own?

“Mutual funds, and also because of my retirement plan, it’s partly invested in equities.

“I think the stock market fluctuates — it goes up and it goes down. Because of what’s going on in Asia, among other things, there’s a bit of a correction taking place. This is quite normal, and over the long run, I think the American stock market has performed very well.

“If one can’t deal with these sorts of fluctuations, he probably shouldn’t be in the stock market.”

If you were a Spice Girl, what kind of a spice would you be?

“I don’t know anything about the Spice Girls, other than it’s a singing group. But I don’t know anything about them, so I’m not even sure what I would be. But I don’t even know their music (laughing).”

Pick an adjective if you were a Spice Girl. They have Sporty Spice and Scary Spice.

“Oh, do they? (long pause, thinking). Interesting [Spice].”

That works. Have you been following the McGwire-Sosa home run chase?

“Oh yeah.”

What do you think about it?

“One, it’s extraordinary that two people would break this record in the same year. This is one of the oldest records in baseball — except for Maris, Babe Ruth goes back what, 60 years? It’s one of the most well-known and celebrated records in sports.”

About the Master Plan for the residence halls, what parts of that do you like, and which parts of that are you not interested in?

“First, I like the whole plan. I have reviewed it. We’ve been at work on it for more than a year and a half now, so I’ve had a chance to be involved in reviews along the way, and I think it’s a great plan.”

What do you think are the best aspects of it?

“I think there are three things that are particularly attractive. First, it provides students with a variety of housing options, and in that sense responds to what they tell us they want.

“Second, I think it will lend itself to learning communities and our other efforts to improve retention.

And third, I think we will end up with better facilities — better state of repair and more attractive, more modern facilities.”

Some alumni have said, “You’re tearing down our institutions, you’re tearing down my memories.” Have you taken any calls about that?

“I haven’t received such calls. We’re preserving a great deal of the housing that is here at Iowa State. When the plan is completely executed, Friley will still exist, Maple, Willow, Larch, two of the Towers, Oak-Elm, so a lot of the traditional housing of Iowa State will be preserved.