Animal science prof wins national award

Amy Kearns

Curtis R. Youngs, associate professor of animal science at Iowa State, recently received a NACTA award for teaching excellence.

The National Association of Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture presented Youngs with the award on June 23 at its national conference held in Washington.

Youngs has been teaching at ISU since 1989.

Prior to his experience at ISU, he received a degree in animal research technology from the University of Minnesota-Waseca, and his bachelor’s and doctorate degrees in animal science from the University of Minnesota-St. Paul, according to a press release.

Youngs said he tries to implement a relaxed atmosphere during classes.

“I try to make students feel comfortable in the classroom setting,” Youngs said. “I encourage questions from students, and I try to focus my teaching on what the students are interested in.”

Youngs said students need to be provided with “all of the information regarding procedures and practices.”

“Each time a new recommendation is made to me, I try to give students background information to help them see how the techniques are evolving,” he said.

The courses Youngs teaches include subjects such as animal reproduction, embryo transfer and sheep production.

Youngs said he tries to challenge students by “using fact-based teaching and real-world applications.”

According to a press release, Youngs also is involved with overseeing operations at the animal science sheep farm. His research involves working with livestock and their reproductive efficiency.

The NACTA award is presented to teachers based on the evaluations of students and staff.

A colleague at ISU nominated Youngs for the award and support was gathered from students and fellow faculty to back the nomination.

Youngs said he is proud of the letters sent on his behalf.

“I appreciate the support and special efforts of the students. Without the students, I could not have received this award,” Youngs said.

There are currently more than 1,000 members of NACTA, and only eight awards are presented each year. The members of NACTA represent both the United States and Canada and more than 125 post-secondary agricultural institutions.

Youngs also is a member of numerous organizations, including the American Society of Animal Science, Society for the Study of Reproduction, International Embryo Transfer Society, European Embryo Transfer Association and International Goat Association.