Teach English to ‘life-long friends’

William Crawford

Volunteers are needed for a program that provides a unique exchange of information between international and American students — the Conversational English Program.

CEP, which is coordinated by the Office of International Students and Scholars, has been around for more than 20 years, said Dongwang Liu, graduate assistant.

Liu said the program has been fairly successful, with an average of 100 to 150 students participating each semester. The program is not restricted to ISU students. It is open to faculty members and Ames residents as well.

The program consists of one orientation meeting per semester, which can take on any number of forms, and weekly meetings between an American student and an international student, Liu said.

“[People] volunteer one hour a week to assist an international student with English conversation and to exchange ideas and customs,” Liu said.

He said American students can learn more about another country’s culture and way of life, while an international student can learn the English language and about American culture at the same time.

Liu said the program also helps to create friendships. After the two students get to know each other, they may start to study together, or they may even become life-long friends, he said.

“[The program is also] good for students planning to go abroad to study,” Liu said.

The program is helpful because it acquaints future travelers with people from the country and the country’s culture, he said.

Liu said the program is not only instrumental in teaching international students the English language, but just as importantly, it also teaches about the American culture.

“International students are not here just to learn English but American culture too,” Liu said.

Liu also said he hopes to get more faculty members involved in the program, and he hopes to expand the existing number of student participants.

He said most participating students come away from the program content with their experiences and are more knowledgeable of the world.

For more information, contact Dongwang Liu at 294-3370, send an e-mail to [email protected] or stop by the Office of International Students and Scholars in Room 4 of Hamilton Hall.