Exercise tips for busy travelers

Irene Lewis Mccormick

Editor’s note: Irene Lewis McCormick is a graduate student in health and human performance. If you would like to ask her a fitness-related question, please send an e-mail request to: [email protected].

Q: I have a hectic business and personal schedule that includes a lot of travel. I am frustrated when I return from trips because I feel “out of shape.” I do not exercise when I am on the road because I am not sure what exercises to do. I don’t always feel safe leaving my hotel. Do you have any suggestions?

A: Getting out of town doesn’t mean getting out of shape. I realize several obstacles may come in the way of your “out-of-town” workouts. Lack of access to fitness facilities and an ever-changing itinerary translates into a lack of routine or consistency.

Exercising regularly, especially while traveling, can reduce stress, burn those extra calories from business meals and help ease the transition into your regular exercise routine at home.

Even if you have to do a shorter than normal workout, the consistency will help you to stay fit. Also, you will be doing a different workout than usual, which will add variety to your workout.

Pack easy-to-carry pieces of equipment. With the right equipment and some minor planning, you can create your own hotel-room workout.

Use your own body weight to create resistance and complete sets of push-ups and crunches until fatigued (about 100). Squats and lunges can be easily performed in a minimum amount of time.

A jump rope can be packed for a short duration, high-intensity cardiovascular session. By packing resistance tubing, which can be purchased in many sporting goods stores or by contacting SPRI Products, biceps curls, middle back exercises, chest presses, shoulders and triceps exercises can be completed.

If you’re not sure how to use the resistance tubes, ask your fitness professional for a one-hour session during which he or she can help you. Once learned, the exercises are easy to remember.

Another exercise opportunity to consider is the hotel pool. Even people who don’t swim regularly can get their heart rates up by jogging in place in the shallow end or dog-paddling in the deep end of a pool.

Consider climbing the stairs in the hotel. No need to run — just walking up the stairs at an even pace will work. Performing gentle stretches for the major muscles of the body — up to three sets held for 10 to 30 seconds each — is easy to do in the privacy of your hotel room.

At the airport for a long layover? Park your baggage in a locker and take a walk. Just don’t forget to pack walking shoes in your carry-on.

Here are some more travel tips:

• Avoid caffeine and sodium, which can dehydrate the body, depleting energy. Skip the pretzels, peanuts, tomato juice and soda pop.
  • Avoid getting on the plane when you’re hungry. This will only encourage you to eat unhealthy snacks and meals on the plane. Eat a healthy meal, not heavy, before you leave. Carry your own snacks such as bagels, fruit, air-popped popcorn or cut-vegetables.
  • Order a special meal when making plane reservations or getting your seat assignment. There are several to chose from, including low-fat, vegetarian, low-sodium, heart-healthy and kosher. There is no additional charge for these meals.
  • Stay hydrated! Drink water every hour to relieve tired, dehydrated muscles.

*Correction from last week’s column, “An Apple a Day” — The Student Wellness Center is located in the Student Health Center. The Employee Wellness Center is located in Rooms 213 and 214 of Beyer Hall. These services are made available for Iowa State students, faculty and staff.