Martin named head of department

April Goodwin

A new head of the Department of Agricultural Education and Studies at Iowa State has been chosen.

Robert Martin, professor in the agricultural education and studies department, has taken the reins for the department.

“Our department focus is on a vision that provides strong leadership and learning more about quality teaching and learning processes … we really have an excellent faculty of about 20 people,” Martin said.

David Williams also is a professor in the agricultural education and studies department and a long-time acquaintance of Martin.

“He’s worked really hard at teaching … he’s well-prepared to do an excellent job,” Williams said of Martin.

Martin teaches courses on administration and supervision, agricultural communication methods, international education and adult and extension education. He also coordinates the Teacher’s Academy on Agricultural Awareness, a summer workshop for elementary teachers.

Martin’s research has focused on adult education and the role of international agriculture in agricultural education, according to a press release.

“He is highly respected by students, other faculty and staff on campus … I think students recognize that he is very student-centered and likes to help students achieve their goals,” Williams said.

Martin has been a part of ISU faculty since 1983 and is replacing Richard Carter, who was named director of the Brenton Center for Agricultural Instruction and Technology Transfer at ISU, according to a press release.

Martin earned his master’s and bachelor’s degrees from Purdue University and his Ph.D. from Penn State. Prior to his arrival at ISU, he was on the faculty at Purdue University and Pennsylvania State University.

“Iowa State is really on par with Purdue and Penn State … we’re among the top two agricultural education and studies programs in the country,” Martin said.

He has served as a high school agriculture teacher in Indiana and a principal and teacher of agriculture and biology in Nigeria.

Originally from Indiana, the teen-age Martin traveled to Nigeria on missions with the Church of the Brethren. His purpose was to teach there until a native Nigerian could take his place. It was after this experience that Martin went on to get a master’s degree, in an attempt to assimilate back into the fast-paced culture of America.

“When I left [Nigeria] I was asked to give a speech … I could honestly say that I had learned more than I had given,” he said.

Martin said he learned lessons of diversity, tolerance and patience while on the job.

“It was really eye-opening … being in a different culture,” he said. “It really made me stop to think.”