Cure for defensive woes sought by Cyclones

Justin South

Defense wins games, or so every coach would lead the public to believe. If this statement is true, then perhaps one reason why the Cyclone football team has been disappointing in recent years could be the team’s porous defensive play.

With nine returning starters on defense and an influx of top talent from the junior college ranks, head coach Dan McCarney hopes that this season’s defensive squad can improve upon last season’s effort.

“We must play longer, harder defense, especially in the fourth quarter,” McCarney said. “It tears my gut and my heart out to not be able to put a good defensive line on the field.”

The Cyclones also have added a new assistant coach to help with the defense. Mike Grant, formerly the tight ends and wide receivers coach at James Madison University, will be assistant secondary coach to secondary coach Paul Rhoads.

Last season, the Cyclones defense had only four interceptions as a team. McCarney feels an upgrade at the defensive back position has been made accordingly.

“Dustin Avey has a great advantage because of his experience, but everything else is wide open,” McCarney said. “I like the talent we have coming in.”

Avey is one of two returning starters in the secondary this season. The other is senior Dawan Anderson.

Even with all the enthusiasm displayed by the team, McCarney points toward improvement in defending the run as one of the keys to success this season, among others.

“We have got to slow down the running game, cut down giving up the big plays, as well as improve on turnovers and tackles for loss,” McCarney said.

Special teams will also play a big part in the team’s improvement.

“We have to be and we will be better on special teams,” McCarney said. “We have our work cut out for us.”

Nonetheless, McCarney still sees several positives in his defense, which made 21 sacks last season. That total was the team’s highest number in ten years.

“Our team speed on defense will be better and we do have half a dozen kids who have played on the defensive line,” McCarney said. “We’ve had a tremendous nucleus of kids here all summer.”

The defensive line features experience in senior Chin Achebe, who is a three-year starter. He will compete with freshman Kevin DeRonde for playing time.

However, the rest of the line is considerably younger, with sophomores Reggie Hayward, James Reed and Nigel Tharpe filling out the rest of the starting line.

Players echo McCarney’s cries for improved defense in all areas.

“I’m very confident and ready to go,” said sophomore defensive back Dustin Avey. “I was disappointed with the way the whole team played last season, so I want us to improve not only as a defense but also as a team.”

“Defense is all about going after the guy with the ball,” said sophomore defensive lineman Ryan Harklau. “I was moved up to the defensive line this year, and I can already tell that there is more size up here this year than last year.”

“We have to swarm to the ball and be crazy,” said junior linebacker Dave Brcka.

Even though detractors of the team will point to the unsettling defensive statistics, there is still much hope in this year’s defensive squad.

“We will improve a lot from last year,” said defensive back Jamarcus Powers, a junior college transfer from Blinn Junior College. “Nothing is hard unless you make it hard, so you have to be mentally, as well as physically, prepared.”

“Losing does effect you a lot, but the desire to win keeps you going,” Brcka said. “However, you have to go through the tough times to get to the good times.”

“There are things I wasn’t prepared for last year that I am this year,” Harklau said. “I’m excited to get into two-a-days.”

A positive outlook and improved overall play will go a long way in curing the Cyclones’ defensive woes. McCarney knows this, but he also knows that overcoming obstacles will determine the team’s fate this season.

“Teams that know how to win know how to overcome their setbacks,” McCarney said. “When things hit, we have to be mature enough and tough enough to believe we can come back.”