Two impressive buildings named for two great men

Carrie Sutton

Editor’s Note: Campus Findings is a weekly column about things on campus that trigger the curiosity of Iowa State students, faculty and staff. Carrie Sutton, junior in journalism and mass communication, will investigate the inquires each week and post her findings. Submit inquires to [email protected].

The two facing buildings in the heart of Iowa State’s campus are named after two men at the heart of the university’s history.

Beardshear and Curtiss halls are located on central campus, on opposite sides of the Campanile.

According to “For Whom It Is Named: Names of Halls, Buildings, Streets, Residence Hall Houses and Other Facilities at Iowa State University,” Beardshear Hall, known originally as Central Hall, was built to replace Iowa State College’s old main building after it caught fire on Aug. 14, 1902.

According to “A History of Iowa State College,” Central Hall housed the same administrative offices it does today, as well as the English, mathematics, modern languages and social sciences departments.

It temporarily housed the botany laboratories and the library.

The building’s namesake, William Beardshear, served as ISU’s fifth president from 1891 to 1902. According to “For Whom It Is Named,” it was “his dedication and ability to organize Iowa State’s faculty and courses [that] helped bring the college into the 20th century.”

Student publications reported that students wanted the building to be named after Beardshear at the time of its completion in 1906, but it wasn’t renamed until 1938.

Special Collections Librarian Jill Osweiler said, “He was a forward thinker — that’s the general thought from people around here.”

Library Assistant Becky Jordan agreed, adding, “He was very well-liked. It was said that he knew every student’s name. He was a really good president.”

Jordan said Beardshear received criticism from agricultural publications because most felt he was not focusing enough attention on agricultural issues.

Jordan said Beardshear responded by starting short agriculture courses that were available to students and non-students.

Curtiss Hall was built immediately after Beardshear’s completion, with one-fifth mill tax levy money provided by the 29th General Assembly (1901-03). The building was finished in 1909 as Agricultural Hall, according to “The Iowa State Campus and its buildings 1859-1979.”

“It was built as a mirror of Beardshear,” Osweiler said.

Jordan said “there was a fuss” about where Curtiss Hall would be located.

Jordan said Olmsted Brothers, a well-known architectural group, was brought in to discuss the problem. She said John Charles Olmsted came to ISU to discuss Curtiss Hall’s location and to develop a plan of campus development.

Curtiss Hall houses the College of Agriculture and Extension Services offices. It was renamed in 1944 to honor Charles F. Curtiss, dean of agriculture from 1900 to 1933.

Curtiss helped develop the Iowa State Fair and the nation’s first fully organized county cooperative extension service, according to “For Whom It Is Named.”

Jordan said Curtiss would insist that lawnkeepers use horse-drawn mowers even after motorized lawn mowers had been invented.

“He was quite a horseman,” she said.

Jordan said Curtiss lived in the Farmhouse with his family, and today it is modeled to look as it was when he resided there.

Jordan also said Curtiss brought ISU’s agriculture board to national prominence.

“In the ’30s, we were the best,” Jordan said.