Students rush to greek system

Tara Wood

During formal Rush, which took place last week, the Panhellenic Council conducted programs and events to introduce Rushees to Iowa State’s greek system and to one another.

Amy Robertson, vice president of recruitment for Panhellenic Council, said houses look for new members who will contribute to the sorority through academics, leadership or diversity.

She said Rushees are looking for houses that are comfortable and offer them various scholastic opportunities, such as scholarships.

Robertson, who is a senior in sports management, said 350 incoming freshmen women went through formal Rush this summer.

Katie Bindner, senior in advertising and also vice president of recruitment for Panhellenic Council, said the council’s events included rallies for Rushees and parties at the chapter houses.

The council and several houses emphasized an alcohol-free Rush this summer for members as well as rushees.

“Chapter members are discouraged from going out to decrease the risk of running into Rushees,” Robertson said. “We tell parents and rushees that Rush is an alcohol-free week.”

Themes of the house parties also are an important part of the week, Robertson said.

“Every chapter has a theme to illustrate different aspects of their house [at the parties],” Robertson said.

Robertson said the themes accentuate what is important to the house, such as off-campus involvement.

Houses need to be careful how they present those themes, said Shannon Klatt, former member and vice president of chapter operations for Alpha Phi, 2035 Sunset Dr.

Alpha Phi closed during the spring 1998 semester. Klatt, who said many reasons caused the closing, attributes the closing mainly to a misrepresentation of the house during Rush.

“We inadvertently presented a party theme [during Rush] and didn’t realize that’s how we’d presented ourselves until we got to know the girls we asked to live with us,” Klatt, senior in psychology, said.

Klatt said because of the misrepresentation, the house recruited members who were “more interested in going out and having a good time than getting good grades.”

“After getting rid of the problem people, there were not enough people to get through,” she said.

Carolyn Jones, president of recruitment for Panhellenic Council, said while this may be a problem, Rush is a vital part of the greek system.

“Rush is sometimes the only thing that keeps a house going,” said Jones, senior in journalism and mass communication.

Chris McDonald, president of Beta Theta Pi, 2120 Lincoln Way, said his house members look for “scholastically motivated individuals and leaders” during Rush.

Potential fraternity members rush earlier in the summer than their female counterparts.

McDonald, senior in agricultural engineering, said the house hosts only alcohol-free events during Rush to show this ideal.

A party atmosphere was not what Justen Stepka was looking for in a fraternity when he rushed earlier this summer.

“I was looking for a place to get me going socially and in school,” said Stepka, freshman in computer engineering.

“[House members] took me out, and we had a good time,” Stepka said. “But they made sure I was up in time for placement tests.”

Stepka moved into the house this fall. He said he does not expect his house to have any problems with violating university policies.

“Most of the houses are in trouble because of drinking and probation, and that’s not a problem here,” he said.

More and more Rushees are exhibiting this attitude, said Jason Clement, Rush chairman of Delta Sigma Phi, 218 Ash Ave.

“When I rushed a few years ago, houses were more party-oriented,” said Clement, junior in architecture. He said his house tries to portray a more academically conscious image.

“There will be a social life here, but the reason you’re here is academics,” he said. “This corresponds with the new attitude of freshmen.”