Lighting concerns key to GSB

Sarah Goepel

Last February, Bryan Burkhardt and Jamal White, president and vice president of the Government of the Student Body, said improving the lighting on Iowa State’s campus to ensure safety for students was an important part of their platform.

Since then, GSB has worked with the Department of Public Safety on surveying the campus for defects in lighting, such as dysfunctional lights, and trees or bushes that could create hazards for pedestrians by concealing potential assailants.

Loras Jaeger, director of DPS, said his department did its annual facilities check last summer.

“Every summer, we do a facilities check of the whole campus. We canvassed all areas looking for lighting deficiencies and also noted vegetation in dark areas,” Jaeger said. “We checked all parking lots and sidewalks and gave the report to Facilities and Planning Management.”

Jaeger also encourages people to call DPS with the number of a defective light, so that officials can either repair or replace it.

After the survey is completed, Jaeger said the university should publicize areas of concern.

“There’s always room for improvement,” Jaeger said.

GSB President Bryan Burkhardt said he helped with about one-third of the survey and assessed the situation.

Burkhardt said forms were completed for streets and sidewalks, vegetation and building lights, indicating where improvements need to be made. He said funding for the project would come from the GSB special projects account.

“According to the bylaws, the special projects account is ‘designated to make capital improvements to help benefit the entire university and community,'” Burkhardt said.

He said student forums will be organized to discuss the specifics of the project, and he encourages students to get involved. Improvements also will be made on the emergency phone system, Burkhardt said.

One area of campus, Burkhardt said, that will definitely need improvement is the Forker Building, because few of its surrounding lights work.

While some students on campus might not care whether the campus is made safer by improving the lighting and emergency phone system, others feel it is an important issue.

“It can be kind of scary walking at night,” said Kristin Turner, senior in child and family services. “I think there needs to be more lighting along the paths. Maybe in front of some of the buildings … in front of doors.”

Other students said they walk with friends at night because they feel that walking alone is unsafe.

“I would walk with friends but not ever alone,” said Irene Somali, freshman in pre-chemical engineering.

Katie Kleinmeyer, senior in graphic design, voiced her concern on the emergency phone system.

“They are far and few between,” Kleinmeyer said. “I would be running to one if I needed one.”