Ag Business Club honored for third time at national meeting

Emily Graham

The Agricultural Business Club was recognized as the outstanding chapter in the nation for 1998 during the annual meeting of the American Agricultural Economics Association.

The club was also awarded this honor in 1992 and 1995.

“No other school has won three times in the same decade. I think that really says something about our club,” said Ron Deiter, club adviser.

ISU students also filled three of the six officer chairs for the Student Section of the American Agricultural Economics Association.

Garrett Toay, junior in agricultural business, was elected as secretary/treasurer.

“It was my second year at the convention, and I think that kind of gave me an edge on some of the competition,” Toay said.

Erik Heggen, junior in agricultural business, was elected as vice president of the North Central Region and Noah Wendt, also a junior in agricultural business, is editor if the AAEA newsletter.

The title “Outstanding Chapter in the Nation” is awarded based on many different aspects. Deiter said the club was judged on fund-raising, educational, professional, service, social, regional and national activities.

Deiter said his club was strong in all aspects and the judges recognized that excellence.

One of the many accomplishments of the Agricultural Business Club is the Agricultural Career Day, put on in conjunction with Agricultural Career Services.

“It is the nation’s largest career day of its kind,” Deiter said. “Last year we had 170 firms on campus.”

The club also adopted a stretch of highway, invited educational speakers to the meetings and had a clothes drive.

Deiter said another strong point of the club is its numbers. Close to 200 members make it one of the largest clubs on campus and the biggest of its type in the nation.

“Our officers are already working on plans for this year, but right now their main goal is getting the semester off to a good start,” he said.

The Agricultural Business Club meets on the first Thursday of every month at 7 p.m. All students in the College of Agriculture are welcome to join.

“Everyone works well together and works hard,” Toay said. “It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to make this club work, but it is worth it.

“I encourage all ag students to join. It is a great way to get involved and network,” he said.