Students decorate dorm rooms with finds at MU poster sale

Vicki Larsen

To help remedy all those blank walls in dorm rooms, a poster sale is visiting the Memorial Union this week.

Jake Brott, freshman in computer science, was at the poster sale Monday looking for several posters for his dorm room.

“I liked the posters of Jimi Hendrix and the ‘Godfather’ movies,” Brott said. “I’m basically looking for movie posters.”

The sale is being held in the northwest study lounge on the first floor of the Memorial Union from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., through Friday, and again from Aug. 31 until Sept. 4.

Prolific Art Galleries, Ltd., from New York is conducting the sale, with thousands of prints available.

The sale offers a variety of posters, with prints varying from celebrities to music groups, from fine art to movies and from photography to landscapes.

The average price for posters is $6 to $8.

“It’s a great opportunity for students to get prints cheap,” said Jim McSweeney, director of Prolific Art Galleries, Ltd. “They’d pay one-third to one-half more at bookstores or poster shops, and we offer so much more than other places.

“The best deal is on fine art prints; what would probably cost $25 somewhere else is only $10 here,” McSweeney said.

Although Prolific Art Galleries, Ltd. has never come to Iowa State before, the poster sale takes place at the beginning of every semester.

“We usually get swarmed when we’re here the first time for the year,” McSweeney said. “We have so much more than the usual limited selection, and even a better deal that it’s so much cheaper here, too.”

Leslie Melvin, program adviser for the arts at the Union, said the poster sale has proven successful in years past.

The sale also seemed to be popular with students this year.

Allen Sanborn, freshman in computer science, said he enjoyed his first trip to the poster sale.

“There’s lots of great posters,” Sandborn said. “I was in Europe this summer, so I saw a lot of these [prints], but in real life.”

Angie Whitehead, sophomore in industrial technology, also was a first-time attendant of the sale.

“There is a very good variety of posters,” said Whitehead, who purchased a print of the movie “William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet.”

“I like the movie, and usually you can’t find these posters,” she said.