ISU women play in Iowa Masters

Scott Johnson

It was a break-through moment this past weekend for women’s golf in the state of Iowa. For the first time women were allowed to play in the 61-year-old Iowa Masters. Iowa State women’s golf coach Julie Manning was instrumental in the inception of the move.

“I approached the committee in February and it went real smooth,” Manning said. “The co-chairs, John Nerving and George Turner, were real open to the idea.”

The 16 women participating included the top three golfers from each state university (ISU received four) along with the state high school champion from each of three classes. They joined the Iowa women’s state amateur and junior champion.

After the first day of competition, the top three leaders were ISU alumni, Fiona Watson and Cathy Matthews, with sophomore Cathy Innis sitting in third. Watson shot an even-par 73. Only 12 men were under par after the first round. Noel Jacobusse was also representing ISU.

“It really felt like an honor playing in the Masters,” Watson said. “It was great to play in front of people that had supported you for four years. There were a lot of people in the local community that wanted to come out and watch us play,” the newly named assistant ISU coach added.

Fort Dodge native and Big 10 champion Stacy Bergman won the tournament by ten shots over Patricia Martinson, firing a 225.

Bergman won the Big 10 crown for the University of Iowa, but has decided to transfer to Tennessee for her final two years of competition.

Matthews finished third shooting 236, followed by Innis and Watson.

“This was the first competitive round at Veenker since my freshman year, which was the Fall of 1994; the last time we hosted a tournament,” Matthews said. “It felt so good to have a competition in the state. If the top women want to compete, they have to travel all over ,and that is tough for college students financially.”

There are 12 amateur tournaments during the summer, but only two for women, including the Masters. The other is held in Carroll. Manning hopes to increase that number in the future.

“The men can pretty much play a tournament every week, and we would like to play in up to six,” Manning said. “We have to be careful in what events we pick to try to play in. We have to make sure that the players are open to it, but I don’t know how many men came up to me and said what a good idea this was.”

ISU’s Erin Naeve and Julie Swanson were also invited as the top two finishers in a qualifying tournament held June 29.

“Right now it is important for us to create interest and get more women into the field next year,” Manning said.

Iowa State’s Jason Knutzon won the men’s open division by six shots, carding a 11 under par 205.

Knutzon won the Fort Dodge Amateur a week earlier by going 14 under par.