Fitness and fun offered by Ames, ISU classes

Ellyn Peterson

Aerobic classes and fitness programs have taken a dramatic change of pace since the days of leg lifts with Jane Fonda, and the Iowa State community is no exception.

Floor dance aerobics (hi-lo classes) have been joined by steps, slides, hand weights, boxing drills and more.

This fall the City of Ames Parks and Recreation Department and ISU’s Recreation Services will each offer nearly 50 different aerobics classes a week as well as a variety of wellness classes.

“All of our classes offered are designed to emphasize total well-being and provide a challenging, effective and fun workout,” said Carla Brown, public wellness supervisor at Ames Park and Rec.

In addition to the continuation of step, flexibility, low-impact and aqua classes, some new classes offered through the City of Ames include FAME and Pure Energy. Brown said FAME (Friends, Attitude, Movement and Exercise) is a class that caters to teen-age girls.

“We try to mix those four things together to let teens try a variety of workouts with the current music for that age group,” Brown said.

Brown said Pure Energy is geared toward seasoned aerobic participants.

“This class incorporates many of the various cardio classes and strength training. It lasts 70 minutes, so it will allow us to do 50 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of strength and conditioning,” Brown said.

Ames Parks and Recreation also offers a variety of classes to promote muscular strength and flexibly to individuals over the age of 50 or anybody seeking a lower intensity workout, Brown said.

“One [important] thing about our program is that we are a wellness program. We are generally interested in their well-being,” Brown said.

Fitness classes provided by the Ames Parks and Recreation Department run for eight weeks during the fall semester. One class a week costs $20, two classes a week are $40, three classes are $54 and four classes are $66. Any combination of classes is possible.

In addition to the numerous classes offered, the Wellness Program offers a strength training facility and a newly expanded cardiovascular room.

ISU’s Rec Services also offers a variety of classes, which are free of charge to students and $25 each semester to faculty and staff.

“We are currently in the process of interviewing for a full-time fitness coordinator to head and organize our new programs,” said Ellice Ratliff, graduate assistant for fitness and aerobics who will be leaving prior to the fall semester.

Ratliff said Rec Services is adding some exciting new programs to the fall aerobic lineup.

Funky Kick Box is a class that will replace last year’s box aerobics classes. It will include current music and hip-hop moves with kick boxing techniques.

Boot Camp is a cardiovascular class that will focus on non-dance aerobics and include some strength training along with a variety of exercises.

Step and Strength Interval will alternate between step aerobics and strength drills throughout the class.

“We hope to begin a personal training program as soon as possible. Maybe next spring or the following year,” Ratliff said.

Personal training is currently offered through the City of Ames.

“We have had personal trainers on staff three or four years,” Brown said.

All of Ames’ personal trainers are nationally certified and regularly attend continuing education events to stay abreast of current research and trends, Brown reported.

“Within this industry there are qualified people and some not as experienced as they feel they are. Sometimes the best advice you can give is to refer to a physician,” Brown said.

During the fall semester the city will also offer a wide variety of wellness classes, including basic and advanced T’ai Chi, stress management workshops and a massage workshop taught by a registered nurse and massage therapist. To register for Parks and Recreation classes, stop by the Administrative Office between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday or the Community Center, 515 Clark.

To sign up for the ISU Rec Services classes, stop by 107 State Gym on the ISU campus.