Pair of profs promoted

Catherine Conover

The College of Family and Consumer Sciences will welcome two new associate deans in August — Suzanne Hendrich and Mary Winter.

Hendrich, professor of food science and human nutrition, will become associate dean of undergraduate programs and educational technology on Aug. 5. Winters, professor of human development and family studies, will become associate dean for research and graduate education on Aug. 10.

Carroll Meeks, dean of family and consumer sciences, said the associate dean appointments are three-year positions, although they might be extended for another three years. She said the positions give faculty members a chance to develop their administrative skills.

Meeks said Hendrich will be working with students to get them more actively involved in community, while continuing her teaching career.

“Suzanne teaches one of the big food science and human nutrition classes, and she is going to continue teaching it,” Meeks said.

Diane Birt, chair of food science and human nutrition, said Hendrich’s introductory nutrition course is very popular and students from many different disciplines take the class.

“[Hendrich is] an outstanding teacher,” Birt said. “She teaches at all levels, from freshman to graduate.”

Meeks said Winters is a veteran professor with considerable experience in the areas of research and graduate studies.

“I think she is going to be a good role model for the younger faculty members,” Meeks said.

Meeks will be working with the development, administration and dissemination of research.

“[Winters] is one of the most outstanding professors in the nation in her field of family resource management,” said Maurice McDonald, chair of food science and human nutrition.

McDonald said Winters’ research deals with family well-being in the face of economic change.

“She has an outstanding research record and she’s an excellent teacher. She’s one of the most popular graduate professors at ISU,” McDonald said.

Birt said Hendrich has a strong research career as well.

“She does research on phyto-chemicals, which are plant chemicals that protect against disease,” Birt said.

Hendrich is taking the place of Donna Cowan, while Winter will take the place of Dianne Draper. Both Cowan and Draper have stepped down to positions as professors.