Students surf the Web with differing degrees of ease

Ellyn Peterson

The continuously growing technology of today has many Iowa State students and faculty pushing for the requirement of personal computers and Internet access both on and off campus.

Frank Poduska, consulting and publications manager for the ISU Computation Center, said news of standard computers in dorm rooms provided by the university are nothing more than rumors.

“[The Computation Center] has proposed some ways to assist students in purchasing computers, but no one can come up with a way to fund the initial lump of money,” Poduska said.

“Just recently, the University of North Carolina started doing a program in assisting students to get computers. I believe they are requiring it,” Poduska said.

“[The North Carolina program] allows financial aid to buy these computers or at least assist students to purchase these computers,” he said.

One disadvantage Poduska pointed out is that the cost always ends up being buried in tuition. “People make college choices depending on the cost issue,” Poduska said.

“Sometimes even the best ideas don’t pan out because of the impact it would have on the bottom line,” Poduska said.

Students in the residence halls today may not have their own computers funded by the university, but they do have Ethernet access, for a $7-a-month fee, simply by living in university housing.

Off-campus students are not as fortunate. Barb Parsons, a receptionist at Hunziker Property Management, said more than 50 percent of their apartments are student apartments.

“Currently, we do not have Internet access offered in the apartments; however, a new building [not targeted at students] will have Internet access,” Parsons said.

The issue of adding Ethernet connections to current apartments for students has not yet become an issue, Parsons said.

Off-campus apartment owners could benefit from the use of a low-cost Ethernet connection. Callie Leau, senior in animal ecology, said she really enjoys working on the Internet but does not want to pay money for a second line.

“When I switch on my modem, it makes it impossible for people to call me if there is an emergency. The fact that the connection ties up my phone line makes it difficult for me to use the ‘net as much as I would like to,” Leau said.