‘One-on-one’ professor receives teaching award

Catherine Conover

The second annual Museums Teaching Award was given to an Iowa State professor who knows how to take risks and devote time to his students.

Award committee members said Randall Huff, adjunct assistant professor of English, who recently received the teaching honor, applies original techniques in class, as well as extending help to his students.

“The idea of the award is to recognize educators who integrate the museums in their curriculum in innovative and effective ways,” said Renee Senter, education curator of University Museums. “Randall was chosen because of how deeply he integrated the museums into his curriculum.”

Senter said Huff used all three museums — including Brunnier Museum, Farm House Museum and Art on Campus — in one of his classes, and one of the museums in another class.

She added that any educator is eligible for the award, including nontraditional educators such as program coordinators. She said the educators submit applications, which are reviewed by a subcommittee of the University Museums Advisory Committee.

Senter said the committee members are representatives from the university, the Ames community and community schools.

Huff said the museums were instrumental to his teaching material.

“[The university museums provide] such a great opportunity to expose people to art,” Huff said. He said he has been introducing art into the classroom during his entire career.

Huff gave his English 104 students writing assignments pertaining to each of the university museums, Senter said. She said each student was asked to do an in-depth study of a print from the exhibition “In a Man’s Brain: Images of Women.”

Huff said he asked students to relate to a particular work of art and then to try to decipher what caused the connections and link them to the students’ experiences.

“He gave his students so much of his time, and it was one-on-one time, which is really rare,” Senter said.

Huff said reactions to his teaching methods were mixed, with one student’s parent becoming angry enough to go to the chair of the department.

“To tackle such a serious art exhibit with students not having much experience in art or even writing was a really big challenge,” Senter said. “We really had to applaud his willingness to take risks.”

Huff said it was worth all the effort just to watch a student who had never been to a museum react to the experience.

“Art is what separates this university from any other place in Iowa,” Huff said. He said ISU has around 200 major pieces and 2,000 minor pieces of art that provide “a tremendously rich environment.”

Huff said he thinks climbing the stairs in Farm House Museum and striking one’s head against the landing is a classic experience, and should be as much of an ISU tradition as campaniling and walking around the zodiac.

“No Iowa State experience is complete without realizing the acorn from which ISU sprung,” Huff said about the Farm House.

Huff said he was very pleased, flattered and surprised by the award.

“I would like to thank Renee Senter, the board of directors and major donors for providing such a worthwhile experience,” Huff said.