Veishea still lacks charm

It is official, Veishea will continue. And it will continue alcohol-free.

Get any five people together and ask them what they think about the largest student run festival in the nation and you will get five different opinions on what should be done with it next year — from once again allowing alcohol to cancelling Veishea altogether.

While some considered the reduction of arrests and the absence of violence to be a sure sign of success, others were disappointed by the reduced attendance and heightened police presence on campus.

Some people feel that alcohol-free is the right track; others believe that the celebration has been irreparably soured and has deviated from it’s original focus, which was to draw people into Ames to proudly show off ISU’s campus.

In decades past, no one would have ever considered leaving Ames during Veishea. It was the event of the year, awaited with anticipation by students, Ames residents and all Iowans. It was second only to the Iowa State Fair.

Now many feel there is insufficient, reason to stay in Ames only to risk arrest for drinking, which some consider synonymous with celebrating.

Regardless of your position, one thing is certain: The mission to revamp Veishea is far from complete.

If students leave town, something is wrong.

It is also unreasonable to expect students to have a celebration under the watchful eye of heightened security, Ames Police and Iowa State Troopers standing by in anticipation with riot gear.

Veishea has definitely lost it’s charm from past years.

During future celebrations, experimentation should be our guiding light. We may not ever recapture the wholesome attitude towards fun which past celebrations embodied in the days before alcohol consumption became the most popular event.

But we can and should continue to try something new. Otherwise Veishea will simply die out from lack of interest.

It would also be a good idea to continue to look at the past for answers. It is far too simple a solution to ban alcohol and expect everything to simply turn into the good old days again.

If Veishea ’98 is any indication, Veishea ’99 will draw even fewer people to campus.