Public safety officials at high risk for heart disease

Matt Tremmel

An Iowa State professor recently discovered that Iowa’s Department of Public Safety officers have more than twice the risk of suffering from heart disease than the general public.

Warren Franke, associate professor in ISU’s health and human performance department, led former graduate student Shannon Collins and ISU statistics professor Paul Hinz in the research. The team surveyed 232 retired male Iowa Department of Public Safety officers, or their widows, age 55 and above, according to a press release.

The researchers compared the rate of cardiovascular disease and cardiovascular disease risk factors among law enforcement personnel with that of 817 Iowa males of the same age group, representing the general Iowa population. The law enforcement officers’ rate of heart attacks, strokes, coronary surgery and other related conditions was 31.5 percent compared to the general population’s rate of 18.4 percent, according to the press release.

When Franke examined only the effects of law enforcement work, eliminating cardiovascular disease risk factors like diabetes, high cholesterol and smoking, law enforcement officers were found to be 2.34 times more likely to suffer from heart problems than the general public.

“We thought the results might show that law enforcement officers would have a higher incidence of cardiovascular disease, but we didn’t expect such a marked difference,” Franke said in the press release.

He said the stress of the profession, shift work and dietary habits also enter into the results.

“These officers tend to work rotating shifts. And most of them eat out when they’re on duty. Since they do not have a lot of time, these officers tend to eat fast food,” Franke said.

However, Iowa Department of Public Safety officials have been concerned with the fitness of their officers for some time and have started a wellness program to help keep officers physically and mentally fit.

According to Lieutenant Isra Harahap, public safety officers have to pass fitness requirements at the police academy in Johnston. The regimen consists of push-ups, sit-ups, a 1.5 mile run and sit and reach (flexibility test). Harahap said in order to pass the academy, a prospective officer needs to make the 40th percentile.

“After you pass the requirements, you don’t have to do much more,” Harahap said. He explained that the officers’ work does not require constant physical activity.

“The need to be physically fit is usually only for a few minutes,” Harahap said.

Charles Cychosz, program coordinator in the vice president for student affairs office, who is involved with the wellness program, said the program is seen as proactive preventative response to the issue.

“Warren’s work is important … his findings are logical of the understanding of how stressful this job is,” Cychosz said.

Cychosz said the program aids in not only physical fitness but also mental fitness.

“[The program] is helping people balance those things in [officers’] lives that need to be balanced,” Cychosz said.

Along with having its own wellness program, the Iowa Department of Public Safety is also part of a trial project to develop and implement stress-reduction programs for law enforcement officers and their immediate families.

The LEAD (Law Enforcement and Development) Program, a holistic approach to fitness, also serves the Ames Police Department and the Story County Sheriff’s Department, according to a press release.