Sports Briefs

Daily Staff Writer

Women golfers honored

Seniors Fiona Watson (3.41), Cathy Matthews (3.71), and Sara Linneman (3.66), along with freshman Cathy Ennis (3.57) were named to the 1998 National Golf Coaches Association’s All-Scholar Team.

This year, 109 athletes were selected from across the country in Division I, II, III and NAIA. Only six were from the state of Iowa; four from ISU and two from Buena Vista.

Hurdler inks with ISU

Joe Barlow from Spring Woods High School in Houston, Texas, one of the nation’s top ten hurdlers according to the National High School Rankings, has signed a national letter-of-intent with Iowa State to compete on the men’s track team during the 1998-99 season.

Barlow placed third in the 5A 110-meter hurdles this year with a 14.13. He also finished third in the 300-meter hurdles, clocking 37.24.

“Joe comes from a very good program with solid high school coaching. He could have an immediate impact here at Iowa State,” ISU coach Steve Lynn added.

Barlow chose ISU over Baylor, Rice and Arkansas.

Galloway to wrestle

Kentral Galloway of Waterloo East, the 1998 Iowa Class 3A 125 pound state champion, has signed a letter of intent to attend Iowa State. Galloway, ranked by Intermat Wrestling as the No. 1 rated prep recruit nationally at 125, posted a 33-0 record. He placed third at 125 in 1997.

Galloway joins Cyclone signees Todd Buckland of Waldorf Junior College in Forest City and Brandy Jones of Brighton Utah.

Another newcomer for next season is Bill Maldonado, a transfer from Georgia State. Maldonado is the younger brother of 150-pound Cyclone David Maldonado and earned the Most Outstanding Wrester ward after placing first in the 142-pound final of the East Regional in Atlanta, Ga. He will redshirt next season, but will have three years of eligibility remaining.