Jischke proposes service project for at-risk students

Sarah Williams

In conjunction with ISU Extension, Iowa State President Martin Jischke has proposed a service learning project that could provide ISU students an opportunity to teach at-risk students in Des Moines.

“The proposal made is that we offer computer training for 400 at-risk students, identified by the Des Moines school districts, to be taught by volunteer ISU students,” said Herb Strasser, administrative assistant for ISU Extension and author of the proposal.

Strasser said the concept of a service learning project has been around for a long time.

“It’s just a nice new title,” he said.

The objective is to go out and apply what has been learned in the classroom so that “it becomes more permanent information,” he said.

The proposal is ideal for ISU because current classes such as Sociology 130 require volunteer experience.

The service learning project, however, would take it a step further.

Students participating in the project would spend 40 hours this summer taking classes from professors such as Susan Tomlinson, adjunct professor of computer science.

After completing the courses, students would travel to Des Moines and teach a class once a week for eight weeks.

“It is designed to accommodate students who work,” Strasser said. “They can hold a job and one day a week still be able to do volunteer work.”

Strasser added that ISU would be responsible for providing the curriculum, software such as Power Point, a career search and investment software.

The university also would provide transportation to and from the districts.

“The proposal has asked for money to pay students to learn how to teach,” he said.

In return, The Des Moines School District would be responsible for providing the buildings, computers and students.