ISU football player sent to hospital after spring practice

Bill Kopatich

The Iowa State football team received a scare during spring practice on Monday when redshirt freshman fullback Malik Aluqdah was rushed to Mary Greeley Medical Center after being injured in a drill.

Aluqdah was later transferred to Iowa Methodist Medical Center. ISU football Coach Dan McCarney said the player is expected to be released today.

According to McCarney, Aluqdah lost feeling and movement on one side of his body during a scrimmage. McCarney would not disclose on which side of his body Aluqdah had lost movement and feeling.

“Malik was blocking a defender during scrimmage and was hit on the top of the head, according to the tapes,” said McCarney, who was at practice during the injury but did not witness it. “It’s always scary when something like this happens, but we did the necessary things after this happened to ensure [Aluqdah’s] safety.”

Returning starting quarterback Todd Bandhauer said Aluqdah’s injury greatly affected the team.

“Anytime something like that happens, it’s definitely a reality check,” he said. “I’m praying for Malik, and I hope that he’s all right. I know all of guys on the team are upset at what happened.”

Kevin DeRonde, who is also a redshirt freshman on the team, said practice was cut short on Monday because of the injury.

“Coach (McCarney) tried to keep the players away from what the professionals were working on Malik,” he said.

DeRonde also said Aluqdah’s condition has improved greatly since Monday.

“I guess reports say he has all the feeling back,” he said.

Monday was the team’s second-to-last practice in full pads. The Cyclones will practice in full pads today and in shorts on Friday in preparation for Saturday’s Spring Game at 3 p.m. at Jack Trice Stadium. The spring opener is one of the entertainment features of the 1998 Veishea celebration.

Admission for the spring game is $2 for Iowa State students and high school-aged students and younger, $3 for adults.