Thank you and good-bye

Jonquil Wegmann

With just four weeks plus finals left until the end of the semester — and my college years — I figure it’s about time to begin my thank-yous and good-byes.

Plus, this gives me an easy topic to write about since I’ve been spending 10 to 12 hours on campus each day, trying to stay afloat in a flood of tests, papers, projects and presentations due in upcoming weeks.

Not only has this flood of work kept me from getting more than five hours of sleep any one night, it has prevented me from researching an issue to talk about in my column this week.

Apologies for this weak topic aside, let’s get started on those thank-yous and good-byes I promised.

First off, I’d like to thank Martin Jischke and the rest of the ISU administration for preparing me for the real world.

No, I’m not thanking them for getting me ready for the job market. Instead, I must thank them for preparing me for the disappointments and disillusionments of life.

Don’t get me wrong. I loved my time at ISU, but I think the administration should and could have handled a lot of things much differently. Enough said.

All right, now that I’ve drained the bitterness, let’s talk about the good stuff at ISU.

A big thank you goes out to the M-Shop and People’s Bar and Grill for bringing quality bands to the Ames music scene. Some of my best college memories revolve around anticipating and enjoying the shows of musicians like Arlo Guthrie, Merl Saunders, Moe, Bob Mould and local bands like Hydroplane, among others.

I doubt I’m alone in my appreciation, since the ISU Center has largely failed to bring in concerts, aside from a few decent acts spread thinly over my four years here.

Even though I didn’t always have time to participate as much as I would have liked, I still benefited from the many groups and organizations on campus.

The many activists on campus kept alive my belief in what college is all about.

So a big thank you goes out to the good people at the Drummer, 9/29, Student Environmental Council, ISU Democrats, ISU Greens and a whole list of other groups too numerous to name.

I’ve met a lot of really wonderful people here, and I’ll miss you all (you know who you are).

There’s one person in particular I have to thank by name — Milton McGriff. Even if you don’t believe in this man’s fight, you have to admire his dedication and spirit.

Milt, I’d like to thank you for counterbalancing the effect certain people at ISU have had on me. You’ve kept alive my faith and my hope. Keep on fighting.

I’d also like to thank the hardworking, aspiring journalists at the Daily. I’ve had fun taking part in the hub of the newsroom. And, I must thank my editor, Sara, for giving me the chance to publicly discuss my opinions.

Who else … oh, yes, I could not possibly leave ISU without thanking the unmerciful white DPS parking division pick-ups.

I didn’t enjoy getting tickets and usually couldn’t afford them. However, if it had not been for the threat of that ticket, I would never have been able to feel the exhilaration of walking out to my car and finding a clear windshield when I had parked illegally.

There’s nothing quite like that “Yes! No ticket!” feeling. Thanks guys!

I’d also like to express my gratitude to my department, community and regional planning, and to the professors I’ve had (most of them, anyway). I really liked the casual atmosphere and friendliness of the CRP office.

Hmmm… Who else do I need to thank? I suppose I should thank Copyworks for their 24 hour service — you guys have saved my life and grades more than a few times. My fellow College of Design peers know what I’m talking about.

Along the same lines, thanks go out to the 24 hour grocery stores, gas stations, Wal-mart and Perkins. It’s nice to know businesses are willing to accommodate student’s needs.

Okay, I’m running out of people to thank who aren’t immediately obvious. Unspoken appreciation goes to my boyfriend Darian, family and friends, of course.

I should also thank the Feds for the student loan program for making all this possible. Yeah, thank God for them!

And thank you for reading all of this. Thank you and good-bye.

Jonquil Wegmann is a senior in community and regional planning from Bellevue.