Team works to evaluate ISU Safe Zone project

Jamie Halsne

A team of Iowa State students and faculty are currently working to evaluate the impact of the Safe Zone project on campus.

The evaluation uses several methods of research, including interacting with students and administration about the impact they have experienced, said Nancy Evans, head of the research team and associate professor of professional studies.

The team also is attending sessions in which the Safe Zone is discussed, Evans said.

She said the research team has noted the scattering of Safe Zone stickers around campus since their distribution by Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Student Services when the program initiated.

Interviews and other research will conclude by the end of this semester, and the results of the evaluation will be sent to the Dean of Students Office, Evans said.

Any continuation or improvement decisions can be made with these results, she said.

Other colleges have programs similar to the Safe Zone, but none have evaluated the impact those programs have, Evans said.

She added that no formal evaluation of this research has been conducted so far.

Evans is “one of the nation’s foremost experts” of research and evaluation in this type of program, said Houston Dougharty, associate dean of students.

Dougharty said he “couldn’t be happier” that ISU will become an example to other colleges because of its research showing the impact of a Safe Zone project on a college campus.