Faculty and staff honored

Daily Staff Writer

Iowa State faculty and staff of the year will be honored Wednesday at a Veishea recognition reception.

The reception is being organized by the Veishea special events committee and will take place in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union from 5 to 7 p.m.

The committee ran ads in the Iowa State Daily, set up campus booths and posted signs to solicit nominations, said Heather Plagman, Veishea special events co-chairwoman.

Students chose a faculty and staff member and had to tell why they believed he or she should win, Plagman said.

If a candidate was in the top three, the nominating students were called and asked to elaborate on why they picked that particular person, she said.

Plagman said there were between 300 to 400 nominations this year, and all nominees have been invited to attend the reception.

The top three candidates will be notified, and at the ceremony, ISU President Martin Jischke will present the awards to the faculty and staff member of the year.

Although the reception is mainly for faculty and staff, Plagman said students should feel free to stop by and show their support and gratitude.

“This is a great way for students to show their appreciation to faculty and staff,” she said.