New group to protect students’ civil liberties

Carrie Seim

An Iowa State junior has seized the opportunity to create a chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union at Iowa State.

Ben Byrne, the group’s president, said he decided to found the chapter because he felt ISU needed a group to act as a “watchdog” for students’ civil liberties and to promote education and awareness of such issues.

Byrne, junior in graphic design, encouraged all students, faculty, staff and spouses to attend the first meeting of the chapter, on Thursday, April 23. He said issues the ACLU deals with affect everyone.

“Frequently, the ACLU defends groups that are unpopular in one way or another,” he said. “At any time, anyone can find themselves a member of such a group.”

The group is for “anyone who is concerned about the problems of protecting the rights of individuals, as well as in limiting the power of government over individuals,” said the organization’s vice president, Josh Raulerson, junior in journalism and mass communication and English.

Herman Quirmbach, associate professor of economics, will serve as the faculty adviser for the group. Quirmbach has been a member of the Board of Directors of the Iowa Civil Liberties Union since 1991 and has been involved with the ACLU “since forever,” he said.

Quirmbach said the mission of ACLU is important because “we don’t have a common language or ethnicity. What we have is a common dedication to basic principles of human rights. This is the most important heritage that we can pass on.”

Quirmbach, who will deliver a presentation at Thursday’s meeting, said he thinks it’s wonderful that the “torch” of civil liberties protection is being passed on to a new generation.

Raulerson said the ACLU at ISU is looking for members with as many different political viewpoints as possible.

“We’re interested in protecting civil liberties … from an objective, nonpartisan standpoint,” he said.

Byrne and Raulerson agreed that although the organization has no affiliation with The September 29th Movement, it supports “their right to free assembly.”

“It is not considered within our mission to take a position on Catt Hall. But it is very important that everyone has the right and opportunity to make themselves heard without being censored or impeded,” Raulerson said.

Byrne said he was inspired to create a campus branch of the ACLU following civil liberties concerns in Ames and around Iowa, ranging from free speech on campus to curfew laws in the Iowa legislature.

Raulerson noted that the “questionable” use of police force at an ISU football game last fall is one issue the ACLU might examine.

According to a press release, the purpose of the informal meeting Thursday is to introduce the organization and its goals to the ISU community, and to solicit feedback from potential members in planning next fall’s events.

Byrne said the meeting will help gauge student interest to determine the group’s focus on national, local or campus issues.

“We’re hoping for a lot of interest,” he said.

The meeting will be held in Room 258 of the Memorial Union at 7 p.m.