Colleges to battle each other for Veishea title

Renee Sievers

Several Iowa State colleges will be battling each other for the title of college champion in the first Veishea College Olympics.

The contests will be held Tuesday through Friday on central campus from noon until 1 p.m. each day.

“We are excited about this countdown to Veishea event,” said Beth Sonderman, educational outreach co-chairwoman for Veishea. “This is a great way for students from different colleges to get together and have fun on central campus.”

Competition will start on Tuesday, with the College of Business facing off against the College of Agriculture.

The colleges will compete in money counting, a race in putting on a business suit, briefcase passing, hay bail stacking, egg tossing, a leaky bucket race and cow chip tossing, said Stacia Piggott, media coordinator and public relations chairwoman for Veishea.

On Wednesday, the College of Education along with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences will vie for the title against the College of Family and Consumer Sciences.

Their events will include rounds of Pictionary, as well as making clothes out of newspapers, said Amanda Potts, Countdown to Veishea co-chairwoman.

Thursday’s match is between the College of Design and the College of Engineering.

They will be taking math quizzes, building bridges with tinker toys and having three-legged races, Potts said.

“Many of the activities will be related to the college of the students competing that day,” Piggott said.

Various prizes will be awarded to the winners of the contest.

The grand prizes, a monetary value that has yet to be determined, will be received by one participant from each college.

Potts said the purpose of the contests is to unite students from various colleges.

“Our main goal is to get students from all the colleges together on central campus,” she said.

All participants and students are encouraged to attend the campuswide pizza party Friday from noon to 1 p.m. on central campus.

There will be several representatives from local businesses on central campus while the events are going on.

Most of the businesses will be there in conjunction with the colleges, Potts said.