Free events kick off Veishea week

Kevin Hosbond

With so many food and entertainment options during Veishea, students’ money seems to slowly dwindle away.

But the Veishea Entertainment Committee has attempted to keep your savings account intact by providing a wide range of free events throughout the week.

On Wednesday night, the Minneapolis, Minn., band Tim Mahoney and the Meanies will play south of the Campanile at 10 p.m.

When the concert is over, students are invited to become a true co-ed at Mass Campaniling.

“It’ll be fun because Tim Mahoney is a great band, and the best part is that minors will be able to see them play since they won’t be in a bar,” Kliebenstein said.

If the pizza place nearest you knows all of your likes and dislikes, then the free pizza and pop Friday at noon south of the Campanile will probably interest you.

Following the pizza party there will be a faculty cook-off with the Veishea co-chairs and deans of all the departments.

“It’s a ceremony to kick off Veishea and President Jischke may even make an appearance,” Kliebenstein said.

The reason for the entertainment committee arranging all these activities is simple: They want to provide the dry Veishea atmosphere, while motivating students to get out and celebrate.

“There are some fun things for students to do during the week. We wanted to get them into the Veishea mood by providing some fun events so they won’t want to leave town thinking Veishea will be a drag,” Kliebenstein said.

“Also, they’re free, and you can’t lose anything by going to them.”