Coke and Pepsi in schools

Jeni Nosbisch

I think that Georgia school has lost their minds and sold their souls to greed in the form of Coca-Cola. Someone needs to review for them “Tinker v. Des Moines School Board;” I believe decided in 1964, by the United States Supreme Court. Three high school students wore black armbands in protest of the Vietnam War. The quote in Friday’s editorial was exactly the reasoning used by the Des Moines School Board — that the armbands would be rude and disruptive. In the majority decision, it was written, as I remember it, “a student’s right to free speech does not stop at the schoolhouse door.”

Now, I don’t think the student wore the Pepsi logo for any lofty reasons such as protesting corporate interest in education or exercising his right to free speech. I think he was pulling a prank. But it was a harmless prank. The school stood to lose at most $10,500 that was not guaranteed anyway. If the Coke officials had noticed, and if the school had not won the contests, the school still could not have drawn a direct link between the incident and the loss.

The student did nothing wrong. The most the school could do was ask students to refrain from wearing non-Coca-Cola beverage logos, but enforcing any such suggestion is absolutely ludicrous.

Jeni Nosbisch

Junior

German