Veishea 1998 surpassed expectations

Dr. Thomas Hill

Veishea 1998 — my first Veishea — was a wonderful experience. It was better than I could have hoped given the challenges we were facing this year. I’d like to thank everybody who made Veishea weekend a success. I especially want to express my thanks to the Iowa State student body.

I was everywhere during Veishea weekend — central campus, Welch Avenue, the Memorial Union, the Rec Center, Hilton Coliseum — and everywhere I went I saw groups of students talking and laughing and having, in my view, a great time. I saw students, faculty and staff and families enjoying the parade, pouring into Memorial Union for the International Food Fair and going to open houses. I saw diverse crowds of people enjoying Kevin NeaIon and other acts at the Rec Center and the bands at Hilton.

The apparent decrease in alcohol abuse, the drop in arrests and the more manageable crowds on Welch Avenue tell me that we delivered our message that Veishea 1998 was for people who cared about this tradition and this university. Veishea truly became an event for the Cyclone Family.

Some students reportedly left town for the weekend. If students who left town did so because they simply could not support the alcohol ban, then so be it. They may have contributed to the success of the weekend by not being here. At the same time, however, I hope they had a good, safe time wherever they went. And, I hope upon their return to campus someone told them everything they missed.

A lot of people deserve credit for this weekend:

• The students who planned Veishea. They had the awesome task of beginning the process to recreate a 76-year-old tradition. They did it wonderfully and have earned our appreciation and pride.
  • Student leadership in the greek and residence hall systems and student government. These organizations truly showed what student leadership is all about. Without their involvement and support, Veishea weekend never would have happened.
  • Ames officials and business people. This community support was necessary to preserve Veishea and get the alcohol problems under control.
  • ISU faculty and staff. Their support of the students who planned Veishea and participation in the weekend’s various events was key to the success of the weekend.
  • Story County, Ames and ISU law enforcement. Maybe the most under-appreciated group involved with Veishea, but the most necessary to ensure a safe weekend. The hours these men and women put into Veishea are greatly appreciated.
  • President Martin Jischke. He gave students another chance by not flat-out ending Veishea forever after last year’s tragedy. He gave students an option — a tough option that was considered too harsh and unrealistic by some. Continuing Veishea ultimately was an act of trust in the Iowa State student body — an act of trust that proved to be the right thing to do.

What we accomplished with Veishea 1998 is nearly unheard of in higher education. Other universities that have faced problems with similar annual events have simply ended them forever. We’ve all accomplished something quite special for our times: We faced a significant problem concerning alcohol and, instead of being defeated by it, we scored what we hope will be the first victory in conquering it.

This weekend helped put Veishea on a path to becoming a revitalized tradition — a safe, alcohol-free tradition. Keeping it on that path means a continued commitment from student leaders, the student body, the Ames community and the university administration. Based on what I saw this weekend, I am optimistic about the future of this event, and I am very proud of this university.

Thomas Hill is the vice president for student affairs.