Final grades are in

Robert Zeis

Yes, finals are here once again. Finals — that dreaded time of the year when students spend their precious time re-learning an entire semester’s information over a week and are repaid with fatigue and disappointment.

I’ll be grading some people as well, though they won’t be based on any tests during a single week. These grades are given to some local figures for their actions over the past semester.

Veishea 1998: C-. While Veishea ’98 had far fewer problems than in the past, it was also one of the most boring. Despite the alcohol-free events, those who live in the dorms and greek houses were forced to pay the price for others’ stupidity. I won’t beat that dead horse any further.

The Iowa Board of Regents: D. While we expected the regents to raise tuition as they always do, they once again failed to show why a tuition hike was necessary and what the higher tuition would pay for.

They then turned around and raised room and board at Iowa State an almost ridiculous 7.8 percent! Director of Residence Randy Alexander tried explaining the enormous cost as necessary for a massive renovation to Maple Hall and to increase university “reserves.” The worst part of the increase was that the university extorted all the money out of next year’s dorm residents instead of raising dorm rates gradually.

Student Regent Lisa Ahrens: F. A regent appointed to support the students of Iowa’s universities should promote and defend the views of her students. Ahrens failed to do this when she voted along with the rest of the Board of Regents to raise tuition and board rates, costing some Iowa State students as much as $500 next year. We all expected the rest of the regents to raise tuition, but how could a student do the same thing?

Her actions showed how much the regent selection process needs to be reformed and how there should be more transparency in the student regent selection process.

Milton McGriff: D+. Despite losing all kinds of credibility after last October’s tape recorder debacle, he continues to demand the university to change the name of Catt Hall.

McGriff has failed to show why the administration should throw away the significant accomplishments of a historical figure like Catt because she made mistakes in her life. Any time someone took exception to The Movement and its aims, McGriff only showed how intolerant of differing opinions he was by calling others childish names.

President-for-Life Martin Jischke: C-. El Presidente gets his low marks for the recent Orwellian Veishea initiatives. He asked the Ames City Council to write down the names of people who bought kegs of beer during the weekend, and went further by asking that liquor sales be suspended for the three-day festival. Thankfully, neither were implemented, but it makes you wonder how far the administration is willing to go to suppress your rights.

Government of the Student Body: C. A seemingly decent semester was marred by the ridiculous meeting last Wednesday. Instead of seating the new senators for 1998-1999, the old senators spent their last several hours bickering over the minutiae of funding bills for OCC, IFC and the Panhellenic Council. The debate lasted until well after midnight, when GSB decided not to give the groups money anyway.

Not very good grades, are they? Some of you might ask where the A’s are. Well, these were the only groups that did poorly. The people and organizations of Iowa State who act in the best interests of the students, as opposed to themselves, are the ones who pass my test. The majority of people and organizations all received A’s and are far too numerous to mention.

These grades are simply a way to question what goes on at this university. I gave grades based on how people are doing in serving Iowa State students. Instructors give grades as a way of showing that you have a certain level of knowledge about a subject. Both show a level of inquisitive thought that we as college students should possess.

At this point, it’s easy for me to question what goes on at Iowa State and in the rest of the world. What about the rest of you, though? Have you asked why when presented with a particular idea, you just blindly accepted it and said, “OK?”

Did you stand up in the face of overwhelming pressure to promote an unpopular argument? Or did you simply allow more politically powerful individuals and groups to dictate the terms of debate and intimidate you?

Seeing the apathetic nature of most students out there, I never expected to change the world with a few strokes of a keyboard. But if I got just one of you to think about society, Iowa State, the government, etc., and ask questions about them, then I did my job as a columnist.

The free and open exchange of ideas is threatening to some and completely dangerous to others, both liberal and conservative. I ask you only to do a few simple things: Debate, argue, investigate, find the truth and question your world. Only then will you have learned the true lessons of college.

Robert Zeis is a senior in finance from Des Moines.