Rock Veishea

Sharlene Macatangay

I came away from the Rock Veishea celebration a little disappointed Saturday night. The Flaming Lips Experiment was one of the most original live acts that my friends and I have ever seen. So we were understandably disappointed in the Cyclone Family when audience members decided to inform the band to “go home” and to “get off the stage.” Since I knew that these rude hecklers were sober (after all, it was a dry Veishea, right?), I became even more distressed.

I’ll be the first to admit that the performance was strange. The Flaming Lips weren’t there to please everyone, especially a crowd hungry for a more mainstream band like Tonic. They used a lot of synthesizer sounds and recordings of crying babies and dogs. Yes, they were loud. Still, these performers were invited by the students. Corey Moss worked hard to put together a high-profile lineup for us. It’s not easy to appease all the students at Iowa State.

I don’t particularly enjoy Tonic, but I didn’t feel obligated to yell at them like an overzealous football fan. I didn’t tell them they sucked. I didn’t throw paper airplanes. I didn’t point out their blandness and lack of originality. I didn’t like them, so I left!

This isn’t a grade-school assembly where teachers are around to shush the hooligans. We are college students, and we should be respectful enough to keep our mouths shut. After this childish display, we owe an apology to everyone who worked hard to put the show together.

Iowa State should feel privileged that high-profile bands such as The Flaming Lips, Tonic and The Crystal Method decided to perform in a small town like Ames. If you don’t like the music, at least have the courtesy to leave.

Sharlene Macatangay

Freshman

Pre-engineering

KURE DJ