Veishea: Dry and uneventful

The question plaguing people’s minds for months was finally answered Sunday at 3 p.m. with the closing ceremonies of Veishea.

There were no major problems at this year’s Veishea. No riots, no murders and no real disturbances darkened the celebration this year.

Some may have called the alcohol-free celebration boring, but university and community officials were calling it a success.

Iowa State students showed the ISU and Ames communities that they could have fun without having to drink. For those who chose to drink, they showed they could drink responsibly.

The Cyclone Family was heavily promoted this year as being the only audience Veishea would target.

The message rang through; the Cyclone Family could be seen throughout the weekend, especially at the Veishea Parade.

ISU students showed the university and skeptics that they take pride in the 76-year-old, largest student-run tradition in the country.

There were only 112 arrests this year, compared to the more than 500 last year.

Was the low number of arrests due to students’ devotion to the pledge, increased police security or the increased efforts of the Veishea committee?

The mood of the weekend seemed to be one of fear. The increased police enforcement scared students into staying sober.

The increased entertainment events also helped people from turning to the alternative of drinking. Attendance was good at both Dew the Rec and Rock Veishea.

But this year was only the clearing of the first hurdle for the Veishea celebration.

One successful Veishea cannot not make up for years of destructive celebrations. Work must continue, to show that the original image of Veishea can be restored.

Each year, a new batch of students come to ISU with different expectations. Each year, there are new leaders running the celebration.

In the years to come, Veishea will hopefully be a celebration that will draw even bigger names as it once did in its past.

Hopefully, Ames and ISU will one day be able to overcome the past.

It may have been a success this year, but the real question and challenge is, “Will it be a success in the future?”