Pairs of jeans help promote awareness of alcohol abuse

Karen Dai

The Veishea risk management committee is going to show students how a pair of jeans can create alcohol awareness at Iowa State.

The program, “Rally Round the Campanile,” will be held Wednesday from noon to 1 p.m. on the stage next to the Campanile.

During the program, 300 jean projects written by ISU students, high school students and people in the Ames community will be exhibited, said Liz Gries, peer education coordinator of the Veishea committee.

“It’s a memorial to those whose lives are affected by alcohol,” Gries said. “Some of the entries will be read on stage.”

To enter, each participant has to turn in a jean product and a one-page story with a slogan and photos attached, said Laurie Hellbusch, Veishea risk management committee co-chairwoman.

“All stories are real-life experiences and explain how alcohol affects people’s lives,” Hellbusch said.

To preserve individual privacy, each entry will appear only with the participant’s initials and age.

All entries will be displayed on central campus throughout Veishea weekend, Hellbusch said.

David Haden, alcohol and substance abuse coordinator of the committee, will be invited to read some entries during the program.

“It’ll be a starting point of the jean projects, and we hope to receive more entries to add up to a total of 500,” Gries said.

Gries said the ISU ROTC will also perform during the program.

The committee started the program in fall 1997 and advertised it in the ISU and Ames communities.

“We did our promotion in the dormitories, the greek system and all student organizations at Iowa State,” Hellbusch said. “There are also stories about our program published in some local newspapers.”