E-card designed to replace the personal business card

Kelly Underbakke

The recent introduction of an e-mail card has enabled socially active college students and e-mail users nationwide to expand their e-mail address books.

Some Iowa State students like the idea.

The e-card, which was launched in September 1997 by e-card International, is a growing trend in personal business cards. While the address card models the strategy of the business card, its appearance is completely different.

E-card’s unique shape and style, intended to protect its user’s privacy, includes only a personal e-mail address. User phone numbers, addresses and fax numbers are not included on the card, and names are optional.

Since its introduction, the card has popped up on more than 150 college campuses nationwide.

“By handing out an e-card instead of giving out a personal phone number or address, the e-card user, particularly when it is a woman, is in control when meeting new acquaintances,” said Kathleen Kelly, managing director of e-card International.

“An e-card is a good idea because, like a business card, it gives the associate a formal hands-on piece of paper to remember you by,” said Kurt Wimer, senior in English.

Kelly said users not only like e-card’s convenience, but also its image.

“Students especially love the stylish look of the e-card because it makes handing them out so much fun in social situations,” she said.

E-card International, which has a total of nine designs, recently has introduced four new designs, titled “Circuit Board,” “Lounge Leopard,” “Blue Satin” and “Retro Links.”

But some ISU students are skeptical of the idea. Jessica Dirks, junior in English, said the e-card needs more research.

“Who’s to say they can’t hack into the computer system and find out personal information anyway? It may be a good idea, but it needs to be well thought out,” Dirks said.

The cards are sold in sets of 50, 150 or 250 and are available through the company’s toll-free number, 1-888-E-CARD-50.

Company representatives also can be reached by contacting its Web site, www.ecard1.com. Prices range from $9.95 to $39.95, depending on design and amount.