‘C & A Tutoring’ offers free help

Sarah Williams

Students who feel last-minute pressure to succeed in their classes can seek help from a free tutoring service provided by two graduate students at the Black Cultural Center.

Allan Nosworthy, graduate student in English, and Chaka Allen, graduate student in electrical engineering and computer engineering, are providing “C & A Tutoring” from 5 to 7 p.m. every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at the BCC, 517 Welch Ave.

Nosworthy and Allen said they thought of the idea of peer tutoring last semester and decided to offer their services this semester as volunteers.

“We each have a skill and a talent, and the least we can do is to provide that for others,” Allen said.

Allen said he is tutoring mathematics courses from 100-level classes through Calculus 267, as well as some computer engineering and chemistry courses.

Nosworthy said he can assist students with any type of writing, including journalism and composition papers. He added that he also proofreads labs for engineering classes to check for grammar mistakes.

Nosworthy said he reads papers for students in almost all majors.

“I had a guy come in last week who was doing a piece on hog lots, and I looked it over for him,” he said.

Allen said the service is free and open to any student enrolled in relevant classes, but that more tutors will be needed after both he and Nosworthy graduate in May.

“We hope that other individuals will pick it up and provide open help for those who need it,” he said.

Nosworthy said they are looking for people with knowledge in these areas who can take their place.

Ayita Woods, freshman in pre-engineering, said she has received tutoring from the BCC since she changed her major this semester.

Woods said because of the help it provides, she recommends C & A Tutoring to all students.

“It’s more of a person-to-person basis,” Woods said. “They not only help you with the class, they also help you organize and improve your skills so you can learn to study effectively.”

Allen said the program is effective because of his background in math, including achieving honors at a state math championship in high school. He added that he relies upon his experience to explain math in a way that students can understand.

“It’s not the type of explanation that a teacher would give that is way over the student’s head,” Allen said.

He said tutoring is an important service, and that it should not be overlooked by students who feel it either is unnecessary or unaffordable.

“I would encourage people, even if they are doing okay in their classes, to still stop by and talk to somebody,” Allen said. “They may find that extra help that will push the grade over from a ‘B’ to an ‘A.'”

Nosworthy said he recommends students find help that fits into their schedules.

Woods said students currently in the C &A Tutoring program are informing other students about the service through both word of mouth and e-mail messages.

“It’s a great opportunity and I think more people should take advantage of it,” she said.