ISU student killed in tragic accident

Staci Hupp

An Iowa State student was killed in a car-motorcycle accident that occurred Friday in the 100-block of Lynn Avenue shortly after noon.

Timothy Widmer, 20, sophomore in pre-business and member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity, was pronounced dead at the scene by Story County medical examiners after his motorcycle collided with an oncoming car driven by another ISU student.

According to Ames police, Widmer’s motorcycle struck a car that was turning into a parking lot off Lynn Avenue at 12:04 p.m. The driver of the car, Michael Przytarsky, was not injured.

No charges currently have been filed against Przytarsky, 22, junior in finance and member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

An Ames police officer said about three or four officers are investigating the incident, and that fatality accidents typically take longer than other cases to examine.

He said the investigating officers are taking measurements and developing drawings of the scene.

Funeral services will be held Monday at 11 p.m. at Grace Community Church, east of North Liberty. A visitation was held Sunday from 6 to 8 p.m. in Iowa City, Widmer’s hometown.

A private wake for fraternity members will be held one hour before the funeral, said Dee Betts, housemom for Phi Kappa Psi, 307 Ash Ave.

Betts said members of the greek system have been supportive of the fraternity, adding that one SAE member posted a large wooden plaque in honor of Widmer in front of the SAE fraternity house.

Tyson Antisdel, sophomore in agricultural systems technology and member of Phi Kappa Psi, said nearly all the fraternity members are attending the funeral.

He said members are coping with the tragedy in a positive way.

“Everybody’s getting along good now,” he said.

Antisdel also said other fraternities and sororities have pitched in to help Phi Kappa Psi members, including offering snacks and meals.

He added that Widmer was an outgoing and kind person.

“He was a good guy. He was real involved; he was going to be our summer Rush coordinator,” Antisdel said.

Widmer also was coordinating secretary of Phi Kappa Psi, said Brian Tenclinger, greek affairs coordinator. “He was involved with [Students Against Driving Drunk] and was a very well-respected member of the greek community,” he said.

Tenclinger said the fraternity is working with the university to organize a campus-wide memorial service.

“The fraternity members of Phi Kappa Psi are holding a memorial service later this week; it depends on the availability of the family, [who] would like to be present.

“We’ll have information out as soon as we can. It will be held on campus. We’ll walk from the memorial service to the Phi Kappa Psi house and pause at the site of the accident,” he said.

Tenclinger said he was impressed with the kindness of other fraternity and sorority members.

“I’ve been with the fraternity since [the accident] happened. I’m moved and touched by the outpouring of support from other greeks on campus,” he said. “The main entrance [of the Phi Kappa Psi house] is flooded with flowers and cards and well-wishings. I’m very touched with all the support.”

Chris Barber, junior in chemical engineering and member of Phi Kappa Psi, said Widmer was characterized by his “goofy grin.”

“He always had this grin on his face all the time,” he said. “He loved his motorcycle.

“We were all real close,” Barber said.