From the rec to Hilton

Three days before the bands are scheduled to take the stage, Rock Veishea has been moved. But, the decision comes as no surprise to many Iowa State students who believed that the event should have been scheduled at Hilton originally.

The Veishea committee and the university administration have both publicly stated that the change in venue comes after the consideration of many factors: the success of the ticket sales, the increased capacity and insurance and fire codes.

Yet again all decisions concerning Veishea ’98 reflect one particular sentiment — lack of trust.

Last semester, when the issue of whether to host another Veishea first surfaced, the lack of trust in ISU students and their guests became blatantly clear.

All events and decisions made concerning Veishea have been subjected to the exaggerated and overblown concerns of an apprehensive university administration.

Granted, historically there have been several negative incidents corrupting the image of this student-run event. However, the establishment of oppressive municipal legislation to control off-campus houses and the questionable regulations being enforced in the dorms creates an environment devoid of trust.

In regards to Rock Veishea, the impressive roster of bands greatly appealed to many students. It seems that the Veishea Entertainment Committee was not expected or trusted to find bands worthy of performing at Hilton.

Was the administration concerned that the show would sell out, and students unable to get tickets would eventually become unruly and possibly riot?

Of course, all those involved in the planning and control of the event claim that trust is not a concern, and that the possibility of potential riots is not an issue.

The larger problem is still that the scrutiny of the event could have taken place several weeks ago, before tickets were printed and sold and the Veishea Entertainment Committee began publicizing.

Stay tuned. The event may again change venue when the administration gets wind of the students on the floor planning to mosh during the entire concert.