STV-9 adds ‘Threat’ to its Sunday night lineup

Megan Mcgahuey

A new sports call-in show created solely by Iowa State students has taken STV-9 air waves by storm.

The “Triple Threat Sports Show,” which airs on the ISU network Sunday nights at 9 p.m., is a one-hour sports program featuring ISU coaches and athletes with a call-in segment for viewers, said Justin Ihle, co-host of the show and junior in journalism and mass communication.

“We open the show with eight or 10 minutes of sports news, and then we try to have an interview with the Iowa State sports people,” he said. “The first show we had Al Murdoch, the coach of the hockey team, and we’ve also had Dan McCarney, Darren Anderson and Marcus Fizer on the show.”

Ihle said the show’s staff members always are looking for future guests.

“We want to have Tim Floyd on sometime soon,” he said. “We’re going to try and get Bill Fennelly and also some football players during the season.”

Following interviews, phone lines are opened for viewers’ questions, Ihle said.

“We put a graphic on the bottom of the screen that keeps telling people to call in,” he said. “People can call in about anything.”

James Loomis, co-host of the show and junior in journalism and mass communication, said students constantly are trying to improve the show.

“We want to get it so you can hear the phone calls over the air,” Loomis said. “Right now, we have someone write down the questions and bring them out to the studio for us to read over the air.”

Ihle added that the response to the first few shows has been very positive. “The first two shows we did we were just trying to experiment. The last two, we had phones set up and we got 18 and 26 calls,” he said. “It’s gotten an unbelievable response. It’s really mind-boggling.”

Jason Schoellen, assistant producer of “Triple Threat,” said the show has caught a lot of attention.

“It’s definitely generated a lot of interest, whether or not they agree with what was said,” Schoellen said. “I think that’s what the whole thing is about, to stimulate other people’s thoughts about sports.”

Schoellen, junior in journalism and mass communication, said one of the best features of the show is its interaction with athletes and coaches because it allows the viewer an “ability to call in and talk with the guests on the show.”

Loomis said discussions on the show are “pretty funny sometimes.”

“We just try to have fun up there and give our opinions,” Loomis said. “We can analyze others’ opinions as we see them.”

Ihle said the idea for the show, which is a spin-off of Keith Murphy’s “Sound Off” show on WHO-TV in Des Moines, generated from some students’ ideas in his journalism class.

“Originally, it was just a sports call-in show like ‘Sound Off’ but pretty much targeted toward ISU students,” he said. “I guess we kind of molded the whole show after Keith Murphy, but it has gone a lot of different directions.”

Loomis said the last “Triple Threat” of the semester will air April 19. Because of the popularity of the show, it will likely continue this summer as well as next fall, he said.