Veishea continues award for faculty, staff

Kelly Underbakke

The Veishea Special Events Committee is now asking students to help determine the 1998 Faculty/Staff of the Year Award.

Students who wish to participate can nominate the faculty or staff member who is an outstanding asset to his or her department.

“Characteristics to consider when nominating a faculty/staff member include a commitment to excellence, innovative teaching style, a commitment to caring and wanting to help students succeed,” said Sarah Maifeld, faculty recognition coordinator.

Nominations will be accepted through Friday, April 10. Nomination forms will be included in the Wednesday and Thursday editions of the Daily and at ballot box sites located in the Memorial Union, Durham Center, Parks Library and Kildee Hall.

After nominations have been collected, the committee will look through them and count the number of nominations.

They will take into account what the students have written as their reasons for nominating the person and compare that with the committee’s criteria to determine the winner.

In case of a tie, the committee will look at the candidate’s background and the student’s reason for nomination.

The award is important because it comes from the student body itself, Maifeld said, and because there will be only one faculty member and one staff member recognized.

The winners will ride in the Veishea parade and receive a memento engraved with their name and award, she said.

Last year’s winners were faculty member Tim West from the College of Business and staff member Janice Holtkamp from the College of Agriculture.

The 1998 Faculty/Staff of the Year Award will be announced at the Faculty Recognition Reception, which will take place on Wednesday, April 15 at 5 p.m. in the Oak Room of the Memorial Union.

Iowa State President Martin Jischke will be among those speaking at the reception.

Maifeld said the Veishea Special Events Committee is also hosting a faculty cook-off between ISU colleges on central campus.

It will take place at noon on Friday, April 17, and all students are invited.

“Students will have the opportunity to go through and vote for the food that they like the best,” Maifeld said.