Counselors help with summer business camp

Lisa Stauffer

At the Second Annual Young Iowa Entrepreneurs Camp this summer 19 Iowa State students and 100 Iowa high school students will be “Getting Down 2 Business”

The camp, which is hosted by the ISU Pappajohn Center of Entrepreneurship and the Iowa Agricultural Development Authority, was designed to introduce young people to entrepreneur skills and the challenges facing business owners.

During the camp, high school students will participate in six days of entrepreneural training in agriculture, veterinary medicine, science, engineering and technology and general business.

“This camp will provide a great learning and leadership experience for both the campers and the counselors,” said Judi Nielson, assistant director of the ISU Pappajohn Center.

Counselors will serve as team leaders, assist in developing business concepts and accompany delegates to meal activities, programs and tours.

Anne Tobias, junior in psychology and counselor for the entrepreneurs camp, said each counselor brings new experiences to the event.

“All the counselors have varied academic backgrounds so we each can contribute something different,” Tobias said.

The camp is scheduled for July 12-17 and will feature not only successful entrepreneurs, but also tours of local businesses.

Camp counselor Heather Buchanan, junior in animal science and pre-veterinary medicine, said young people will get a taste of real life from the experience.

“The camp will show high schoolers and counselors how competitive the business world can be,” she said.