Iowa State gymnasts set for trip to nationals

Ryan Pfannkuch

For the fourth time since 1994, the Iowa State women’s gymnastics squad has advanced to the NCAA Regionals.

The Cyclones are the No. 4 seed out of seven teams in Saturday’s Central Region meet at Tuscaloosa, Ala.

ISU, which finished second behind Nebraska at the Big 12 Championship in Lincoln, Neb., on March 21, is currently ranked No. 11 in the nation, its highest ranking ever.

Last season’s Cyclone squad finished sixth in its regional, falling just short of advancing to nationals. Coach Amy Pyle said Wednesday that her squad is more confident going into this year’s meet than it was in 1997.

“We made mistakes at (last year’s) meet and still ended up 15th (in the nation). Then the team realized, ‘Boy, if we could have hit, we would have gone to nationals.’ So they’re more confident this year and know if they go out and do what they can do, then they’ll qualify,” Pyle said.

This season, ISU has set numerous team and individual records, including a school-record team total of 195.975 in a March 15 dual at Iowa. Sophomore Sarah Stayberg set the school uneven bars record of 9.925 in the same meet.

Pyle said the Cyclones’ strongest event at this point is balance beam, which wasn’t the case earlier this season. Leading the ISU balance beamers is sophomore Kelli More, who is ranked third nationally in the event. More posted a school-record 9.95 on the beam at the Big 12 Championship to become just the third Cyclone since 1978 to win a conference title.

More said that she is more prepared for this season’s regional than she was as a freshman.

“Last year, I let my nerves get to me. This year I’m more confident, and I’ve trained a lot harder in terms of consistency.

“To win regionals and go to nationals (on beam) would be the biggest thrill and would show that all the hard work I’ve put forth has payed off. I would be the happiest person alive if I came back and could say I won that event,” she said.

Other top Cyclone performers entering regionals include senior Kayo Merritt, freshmen Angie Umbaugh and Jessy Smith. Umbaugh, an Ames native, was recently voted Big 12 Newcomer of the Year by league coaches.

Pyle said the loss of Kim, Katie, and Karen Mazza (“The Triplets”) from last season presented a challenge, but several newcomers have stepped in to fill the gaps, and the season’s success has not necessarily come as a big surprise.

“We knew that physically we were a better team this year, but it was a matter of if we could be tough mentally. That’s a big shoe for freshmen to fill, and they’ve really done it, especially the last half of the season,” Pyle said.

Pyle said the biggest key to her gymnasts’ fortunes this weekend will be their ability to stay focused on themselves and not worry about what other teams are doing. Also, she said, it’s important that they believe in themselves. “That’s the key,” she said. “They believe in themselves, and that’s what’s going to count.”

The Cyclones’ biggest challengers in Tuscaloosa include second-ranked Michigan, fourth-ranked Alabama (the host school) and eighth-ranked Louisiana State.

Pyle said that Alabama has drawn an average of 13,000 fans per meet this season and is a very tough venue for visiting teams. But, she added, her team is ready.

“My team seems to rise when the crowd is loud, and it just motivates them and gets them going,” Pyle said. “So I don’t think we’re going to be influenced by (the crowd) as much as other teams might be.”

Pyle said there are 35 squads competing for the chance to go to nationals, seven in each region. To advance as a team, the Cyclones must win their regional or post one of the top-seven at-large scores in the nation.

“If we do what we’ve been doing the last third of the season, we’re in,” Pyle said.

The NCAA Nationals will be held April 16-18 in Los Angeles.