GSB sends out 23,500 letters

Jamie Halsne

Government of the Student Body and the Veishea committee are working hard to assure that this year’s Veishea celebration doesn’t result in the cancellation of a 76-year-old Iowa State tradition.

One way GSB is paving the way for a successful Veishea is by informing students about the “new Veishea” and how everyone can work together “for the sake of a university tradition,” said Trent Preszler, GSB director of legislative affairs.

On April 3, Preszler composed a letter directed to ISU students informing them about how Veishea will be different from other years, what the no-alcohol pledge is and events students can attend during the celebration.

After the letter was composed, the Veishea committee made comments and revisions, Preszler said, and then letters were mailed out to 23,500 students.

Funding for the production and sending of the letter came primarily from the Student Fees Oversight committee, which authorizes the director of legislative affairs account, Preszler said.

Producing and sending the letter cost $3,090, he said, adding that the cost averages about 12 or 13 cents per student.

The Admissions and Enrollment Offices and ISU Printing Services also contributed to this project, Preszler said.

These groups volunteered to do the folding of the letters and the stuffing of the envelopes for free, Preszler said, and GSB received a 67 percent postage discount by utilizing Print Services.

By writing the letter, GSB hopes to motivate students to participate in the Veishea activities and take a leadership role in the celebration, Preszler said.

This was GSB’s “one and only chance” to let people know what was going on for this year’s celebration, said GSB President Rob Wiese.

One of the major reasons this letter was sent to every ISU student was to eliminate one excuse of those arrested during Veishea, Preszler said. He said because GSB mailed the letter to all students, “nobody can say they didn’t know about it.”

The other major reason was this year’s focus on the Cyclone Family, Preszler said. Events at Veishea are limited to students, faculty, staff, alumni and their families.

If students can work together, this year’s celebration can be a “turning point for Veishea,” Preszler said.

“The one way we can all make Veishea a success — now and in the future — is to join together as students to re-create Veishea,” the letter stated.

“By targeting our celebration to the Cyclone Family, abiding by our own alcohol-free promise, and participating in the many Veishea events, we have the opportunity to show the state of Iowa (and the entire nation) that we are students who truly care about our university and its traditions,” the letter stated.