Friends nightclub

Ames’ Friends Nightclub is whack, whack, whack! First things first. Let’s address this so-called $3 “all-you-can-drink” wells and draws on Wednesday and Thursday, and $5 “all-you-can-drink” wells and draws on Friday and Saturday issue. Do not believe the hype. I repeat — Do not believe the hype! How dare you advertise this (and inform some students about this so-called drink special through e-mail) and not live up to your end of the bargain? I have been to the Ames Friends Nightclub twice, and on both nights the drink special ended at midnight. That is false advertising, and it is a very sad (and unfortunately smart) tactic that you are using to draw students to your bar.

And since I am on the “drinks” subject, your drinks suck! Cheap liquor gives me the “runs” and makes my stomach hurt! So you better watch out before you give someone an ulcer and catch a case. If I were you, I would have all of your bartenders watch “Cocktail,” starring Tom Cruise, so they can learn how to make a real “Long Island.” I have never heard of a “Long Island” without any Coke AND lemon juice in it until I came to Friends!

The reason why I took time out to write you this open letter is rather simple. On both nights that I walked into Friends, I noticed that most of your crowd, including myself, were African Americans. That means a lot of “black dollars” are being invested into your business. And being that most of the African Americans I know (and college students in general, for the matter) are broke, and the fact that Friends is “black-owned and managed,” it hurts me to see our people being taken advantage of and mislead BY OUR OWN!

I am honestly not trying to “player-hate” and “dis” Friends. I do believe that the bar has potential, and the Friends bar in Des Moines is cool. I am never the one to knock another for trying to make something happen for others, but my question to you and your little management crew and your whack DJ is this: Why can’t we — those who like hip-hop, R&B, dance (if that’s what you want to call it), reggae and house music — have something nice here in Ames without there being some “catch” or “small print” added? We WANT a place where we can have a good time and respect and support!

And to my boy, Dawan Anderson: I know you are just trying to look out for them and etc., and Friends has a nice dance floor and all that, but be honest with yourself and answer this: What dance club in Chicago, OUR hometown Chicago, plays the techno version of Madonna’s song “Vogue?” What!? Do you see where I’m going with this? And while I’m on the subject of music — naw, I’ll just leave that alone.

I honestly want to see the Friends Nightclub in Ames be successful, so do not take this letter as a “dis.” Please do something about your drink special, your drinks and some of your music. Puffy is tight, but listening to the same songs over and over in one night can become annoying. Current dance songs that are being played in bigger city dance clubs are Lord Tarriq & Peter Gunzz’s “Deja Vu (Uptown Baby),” DMX’s “Get At Me Dog,” and anything from No Limit (“How you do dat dare?” or “Make ’em Say Uhhhh”). And didn’t you used to own that tight reggae club in Des Moines called “Safarai’s?” What’s up with the reggae? What about the international and local raggamuffins? (A reggae night? What?)

I am just trying to throw some ideas at you, and I do wish ya the best success here in Ames.

Terrence Manning

Senior

Art and design

Johmeil Hunter

Senior

Apparel merchandising, design and

production

Willie Harrington

Freshman

Pre-engineering