Annual blood drive one of largest in nation

Nu Huynh

It takes 4,800 cookies, 500 student volunteers and 300 chairs.

The largest student-run blood drive in the country is taking place right now at Iowa State, said Jackie Cacciatore, coordinator from Blood Center of Central Iowa.

Since Monday, volunteers have been working with student donors in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union to try and reach this year’s goal of getting 10 percent of the university population to donate blood, said Keri Mercer, blood drive director for Greek Week 1998.

Tony Meyer, junior in accounting and member of Delta Sigma Phi fraternity, is a first-time blood donor .

“My girlfriend’s grandma died of cancer, thus that is one of the reasons why I’m giving blood,” he said. “I think it is important to give blood overall, no matter what the reason is.”

Gretchen Theis, member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, also was a first-time blood donor this week.

Theis, freshman in exercise and sport science, said she wants to help her greek house in the Greek Week competition by donating blood for extra points.

“It might be more painful, but quicker,” she said. “I just want to hurry up and get it over with.”

Not only are greek members rushing to the Union to earn points and cookies for donating blood, but residence hall members are too, Mercer said.

A pizza party will be awarded to the residence house who has the highest number of donors by today.

Of course, donors are not the only ones who benefit from the blood drive, Cacciatore said.

“One blood donation can help three to four different people,” she said.

This is possible because the donated blood is eventually divided into three bags.

“One bag is for platelets that can help cancer patients. Another is for plasma used during emergencies such as car accidents, and the third bag is for whole blood to help transplant patients,” said Elizabeth Peterson, collection technician nurse for the American Red Cross.

The blood drive ends today at 3 p.m., with donors being accepted until 2 p.m.

Last year’s greek week blood drive had a total of 2,028 donors, which came close to its goal of 2,300 donors, Cacciatore said.