An adult in the eyes of financial aid

Andrew Seitz

At the age of 18, we are given the right to vote for our elected officials. The government also reserves the right to draft any young man they need for a war or two that may spring up.

At 18, an American citizen can be tried as an adult in a court of law. In certain respects, 18 is the age of adulthood — almost.

Next at the age of 21, we are legally able to consume alcohol. As long as we are responsible, we can consume alcohol at any time, with proper identification.

At the age of 21, at least in Iowa, we may choose to gamble. It seems 21 is the age at which we can begin making decisions that take money away from our pockets. Adult decisions for our financial situation.

Still, for some reason, the federal government does not believe a student is truly independent until the age of 24. This confuses me.

Personally, I have been independent from my parents since January 1995 when I moved out of their house to begin school. Even my parents’ tax forms state this fact.

My parents handle my car insurance and that is about it, except maybe a $20 bill when I am home for some reason and I am going out with some old high school friends.

Still, according to the Federal Financial Aid system, I cannot apply as an “Independent Student” until the age of 24, unless there are extenuating circumstances. Living on your own for three years is not enough. It seems a student’s parents must disown him or her, in writing, in order for a student to qualify.

This is ridiculous. My financial aid this year covered my tuition and books, but not much else. I still need to buy groceries and pay the rent and utilities, plus those quarterly statements from some William Ford saying I owe him money.

Let’s not forget that the regents want to increase tuition again next year. The little we seem to get in education for our money is still too much. The price tag keeps going up, along with the debt of the average student.

I have a theory that the financial aid people are living in a time warp. These people seem to be trapped in the 1950s. They envision college students who live four years in the dorms or a greek house. These students’ parents give them money for their free time pleasures. Food service fills the students’ bellies with warm healthy meals that are well worth their weight in government cheese.

Welcome to the ’90s. Most students fend for themselves. After two years, most students move out of the dorms and into apartments. Food service is rarely worth anything. Our society is nowhere near the Cleavers — we are more like the Addams Family.

Everyone fend for yourselves. If the houseplants eat you alive, it is not my responsibility. Kill or be killed.

I am an adult, I make decisions for myself, so why is it that I can only make detrimental decisions? Why do I always have to wait a few more years to get my next benefit from age?

I want to graduate before I am 24, so I can work and work to pay off all my loans from William Ford. Mr. Ford is very generous at first, but then he wants everything back!

Andrew Seitz is a junior in art and design from Dyersville.